Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What's the closest you've had a mature strutter? >

What's the closest you've had a mature strutter?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What's the closest you've had a mature strutter?

Old 05-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's the closest you've had a mature strutter?

Mr. Longbeard -I was scouting in a public hunting area on a Sundayduring spring season at the time with the wife (no Sunday hunting in MD, as you know).There is much more to the adventure, toldin a post a few years back. I "aggravated purred" with a mouth callafter the bird crossed in front of us, and he camegobbling around the tree right up to me, fire in his eyes, and making mevery nervous.

He started to leave and I got up and went to him, expecting him to alarm, but he went right into strut and started to purr back to me real loud.

The bird and I began to circle each other, bothof usdoing aggravated purring. This is neat I thought, but I've seen enough turkey fights to know what happens next, and I ran to a tree with the bird chasing me. I snapped a few more photos of himon my ass as I tried to stay ahead of him:

I have wrestled mature gobblers before in cannon nettrap and transplant operations, and more than once I entertained the thought... When I was down to just a few pictures left on the camera, I yelled to the wife to come and get the camera. When she stood up, the bird alarm putted and left in a flash. No doubt he had considered me a rival, I was wearing a black t-shirt with a red logo at the time (SOMETHING I WOULD NEVER DO AGAIN, HAVINGCONFRONTED TWO SUNDAYPOACHERS A FEW YEARS AGO). The wife (whowatched all this from ~40 yds away) threatened to never eat turkey again if I hunted this bird. I didn't go back... But I can truthfully say when Istage a gobbler fight, it'sfrom personal experience! - 'twas the adventure of a lifetime.
-fsh
Old 05-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

..dead and in hand about to 31 inches
but i shot a jake at about 10 opening week..not mature but fried turkey sounded good
Old 05-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

15 yards... Really didn't give him a chance to get any closer

Now I had 2 jake like 5 feet from me once with no face mask and no gloves on... That was pretty cool!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fshafly2

Mr. Longbeard -I was scouting in a public hunting area on a Sundayduring spring season at the time with the wife (no Sunday hunting in MD, as you know).There is much more to the adventure, toldin a post a few years back. I "aggravated purred" with a mouth callafter the bird crossed in front of us, and he camegobbling around the tree right up to me, fire in his eyes, and making mevery nervous.

He started to leave and I got up and went to him, expecting him to alarm, but he went right into strut and started to purr back to me real loud.

The bird and I began to circle each other, bothof usdoing aggravated purring. This is neat I thought, but I've seen enough turkey fights to know what happens next, and I ran to a tree with the bird chasing me. I snapped a few more photos of himon my ass as I tried to stay ahead of him:

I have wrestled mature gobblers before in cannon nettrap and transplant operations, and more than once I entertained the thought... When I was down to just a few pictures left on the camera, I yelled to the wife to come and get the camera. When she stood up, the bird alarm putted and left in a flash. No doubt he had considered me a rival, I was wearing a black t-shirt with a red logo at the time (SOMETHING I WOULD NEVER DO AGAIN, HAVINGCONFRONTED TWO SUNDAYPOACHERS A FEW YEARS AGO). The wife (whowatched all this from ~40 yds away) threatened to never eat turkey again if I hunted this bird. I didn't go back... But I can truthfully say when Istage a gobbler fight, it'sfrom personal experience! - 'twas the adventure of a lifetime.
-fsh

This bird wasn't imprinted on humans was he
Old 05-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Not likely as he spooked when my wife stood up.A mature bird ina public hunting area, go figure.
-fsh
Old 05-23-2006, 03:25 PM

fshafly2--what a thrill that must have been!!
Old 05-23-2006, 03:31 PM

I thought of another close tom. One spring when I was scouting, I called two hens and a strutting tom to less than five yards away. I was on one side of a fence and he was on the other. We were up on a ridge in an area where the ridge was clear. It was a glorious spring day--warm and sunny--and that tom stood there, spitting and snapping into strut for about ten minutes, before the hens got bored and wandered off. I never heard any drumming, but I can still recall the sound as he would crack those wings into position. I didn't have a camera along, but the mental picture is still in focus and indelibly etched in my mind!!

I did have a hen within three feet of my Doghouse blind for about an hour once, too, but that's not a strutting tom.