Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 is it possbile to kill bird when never ever hunted area before >

is it possbile to kill bird when never ever hunted area before

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

is it possbile to kill bird when never ever hunted area before

Old 05-11-2006, 02:58 PM

Default is it possbile to kill bird when never ever hunted area before

Hey, I live in Baltimore, Md. I usually hunt at Greenridge state Forest, but i want to try something on the Eastern shore, maybe Tuckohoe State Park. My question is : how do you guys go about hunting a place you have never been. I usually know the answer to this (scout, scout scout)but here is the thing. I am leaving friday night at nighttime and hunting sat morn. Is it possible to be successfull if you have never even saw any of the land, none. Basically, when i wake up sat morn to hunt, It will be the first time i have ever been there, so where to go is the question. Could i just use my locator call and ride roads in my car until i hear a gobble and then set up on him? How do u guys go about hunting a brand new piece of public property? is it possible to kill a bird?
Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 PM

Default RE: is it possbile to kill bird when never ever hunted area before

look back in these posts to find the ideal turkey habitats...we've all been talking about it...saturday morning find a field and wait....call sparingly with the time of season your in...if nothing happens...(and this is where i love turkey hunting)...try run-n-gun tactics...use a crow call as you move if you dont want to spook a bird you might bump...cause using hen calls as you walk may just bring you face to face with a tom who's moving towards you too...good luck and be safe
Old 05-11-2006, 04:46 PM
TDE
Spike

I've hadyears where I didn't have much land to hunt so there really wasn't much to scout. I picked out spots that looked good to me and called in birds. I did have to be patient and sit in one spot for a couple of hours calling them in from far away or as they happened by.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

geterdun,

I would get there early and use a locater call before daylight (owl hooter) and hope to hear some gobbles. If you do cover ground and setup close to them. If that scenario doesnt work or if you dont hear any gobbles, then you must do hunting/scouting at the same time. Call aggresively or use a locator call while you quietly scout the property, hoping to hear a shock gobble or spot with your binos. If you come to an area with turkey sign, i.e droppings, tracks, feathers, or struts marks then decide if you want to setup or keep walking. Be prepared to spot strutters in the fields before they spot you.
I have employed this tactic many times and have been very successful.
If possible try to get a map of the state park while you are there, that would help. GOOD LUCK and BE SAFE!!
Old 05-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

That's how I get most of my birds.First thing I would do would be to look at a topo map,and determine what area may have a bird in it.I'd figure out a spot with creeks,and flat ridges.Go there and listen from the highest point you can.If you don't hear a bird within the first 1/2 hour of daylight,just start riding roads,looking for tracks.I don't call from the road,b/c too many people do that.I will get off in a spot when I find tracks,and start my run-n-gun.I usually do cutting every 200 yds or so.You can use your other locator calls if you'd prefer.You can't kill him from the motel,so get out there,and maybe lady luck will shine on you.Good luck.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:58 PM

will do, thanks alot guys for help. hopefully this tactic will work me for as it has for u, thanks again