Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 SHOOTING BIRDS AT 30+YRDS!! >

SHOOTING BIRDS AT 30+YRDS!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

SHOOTING BIRDS AT 30+YRDS!!

Old 05-13-2006, 04:57 PM

Default RE: SHOOTING BIRDS AT 30+YRDS!!

I shoot a Rem. 12 gauge Super Mag, 3 1/2" Win. HV's 2oz loads, copper plated 5 shot through a Madd Maxx .665 choke and at 40 yards this setup puts 85+ pellets inside the head and neck outline of a turkey silouette patterning target. At 50 yds it consistantly puts 45 + pellets in the same target. At 30 over 100 and I won't even shoot at 20. My favorite yardage is 30-35 yards even though I can kill them out much further.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

Boy, we finely got some answers referring to the question at the start , but like normal not before we Bash someone for what they do. Typical responds to a message board ...BT
Are you talking about yourself bashing those of us that take long, clear shots at harvesting turkeys?

And you're right...typical response from a message board moderator who put his foot in his mouth. There was no bashing, just facts. Period...
Old 05-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

S&R , to start I never put my foot in my mouth , I read all the posts and there was not anything that said that the poster wanted to know How far you can shoot. Sorry I don't care how well your gun can shoot a pattern, the sport is in the calling, YES Sport , not the lame excuse you have for taking some distance shot , thats just plain lack of confidence in your ability in calling the bird into a ethical range.

It seems you have the wrong out look on the reasons for a tight shooting choke and shell combo, in which a good combo is to give the hunter a better chance at placing shot on the target at a ethical range like no farther then 40-45 yards that most turkey hunters take as their Max distance. I replied some infomation to the thread starter , that Most turkey hunters kill turkeys at the 30 yard range on a normal hunt.

Shooting out past 40 - 45 yards is just a plain excuse for trying to kill a Gobbler and using a Tag to brang. This is where Patiences plays in the game of turkey hunting. Something that makes a turkey hunter wait untill the game in question gets to an ethical range to make a clean and quick kill and if he can not do that he passes on the game so not to wound the game and not recover it, Thats a Hunter

I pass on a lot of post replys in all the detail I post, to allow others to join in and post some of the info that they know that will follow along with the thread. After reading what was posted the whole thread turned into a distance shooting compation, not common sence information.

Then you just had to reply back bashing me because I'm a Prostaffer. Well S&R I am and I am for a couple different companies and I try to help everyone with common sence replies that they should learn from the proper way. I do not miss lead anyone what so ever and do not try to start any conflicks with anyone either. Just so you know and the rest , I am not a Moderator here and am not sure why I still have the name below my name. I did not by any means bash you for the info on shots that you make, I mearly tried to get the thread on track by telling how it was going. You were the one that decided to get defencive , only because of what you had posted. If you don't like others correcting missinformed infomation , then do not post this sort of replies...BT
Old 05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

S&R , to start I never put my foot in my mouth , I read all the posts and there was not anything that said that the poster wanted to know How far you can shoot. Sorry I don't care how well your gun can shoot a pattern, the sport is in the calling, YES Sport , not the lame excuse you have for taking some distance shot , thats just plain lack of confidence in your ability in calling the bird into a ethical range.

I've never read something which is more disappointing on this BBS. Adrian, if you want to stand behind your thinking that most turkey hunters just want to call turkeys during the season, then tell your next clients to stop purchasing tags and just bring their camcorders and digital cameras. They won't need to drop a few hundred dollars on licenses and permits to merely call in a bird entered in a sporting contest. Hell, while your at it, tell them to book you after the season, when there's no competition and the birds are easier to call into good photography range, because the majority of breeding is finished [&o]

As for my ethical range:

I was taught that a hunter's ethical range is one in which 1) he can shoot accurately and precisely, 2) the ammunition being fired is within its effective range, and 3) game can be harvested with a quick, clean single shot. I think this may have something to do with the fact that I actually learned how to shoot a bow long before I ever shouldered a gun. Something about knowing your limitations!!

If you do not want to take shots over 40 yards then fine, but do not come onto a message board and act holier-than-thou and tell people that it's basically a disgrace and a failure to take a 50 yard shot, due to a lack of perceived calling ability. I'm not sure I've heard a bigger load of crap, and I live in a state that recently sent the governor away to Federal prison for embezzlement and ethics misconduct...[]

For the record, I'm sorry but the last time I looked I called just fine, shot even better and considered myself a damn good hunter. I've passed on my fair share of shots, both within and beyond my effective killing range. That last comment about my lack of calling ability is unjustified, and completely out of your character.

And this last comment of yours really takes the cake:

"Then you just had to reply back bashing me because I'm a Prostaffer. Well S&R I am and I am for a couple different companies and I try to help everyone with common sence replies that they should learn from the proper way."

I, in no means, was bashing you for being a pro-staffer. I've just never-ever heard a pro-staffer support long distance shooting, unless it was a firearms or ammunitions expert. Then again, you're on the pro-staff of what---camoflauge and calls? Then perhaps by proper then, you're referring to purchasing your company's products (calls & camoflauge) to assist the hunter in killing game.

"You were the one that decided to get defencive , only because of what you had posted. If you don't like others correcting missinformed infomation , then do not post this sort of replies...BT"

Sorry, I tend to get defensive when somebody from the industry---who basically earns a portion of their income off of people like me buying their company's products---tells me that because I may take a long shot within my known capabilities, that I'm not hunting in the proper way. There was nothing misinformed about any of the information I gave, you just have a different opinion. You know what they say about opinions, they're just like a$$holes, everybody has one...

If you're ever in CT, stop by, and we'll have a more than candid discussion about the "proper way"...[>:]

Old 05-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

One things for sure in the turkey woods nothing is garrunteed 100% of the time.We can gear ourselves up all we want and work 1 or more birds a hunt and still come home empty handed!I agree S&R a hunter should know the limitations of not only his physical health but the quality of his/her equipment and make there own personal judgements to that end as far as taking that "lethal shot".But with that said most folks DONT!!!!I've guided many a hunter over the years including this one and the major majority DO NOT put the time,money,and effort you obviousily have in putting together a quality pattern at extended ranges.
BT gives great advice on quoting the norm referingto the average prospective hunter and his/her equipment,and imho his advice isvery valid!Guide 25 plus clients over a# of years and from that experience comes "the norm"and the advice to take shots 40 yards or closer!Many and I say many bring there waterfowl guns to the turkey woods which theres nothing wrong with that as it will get the job done but makes my point understandibly valid!
Theres no doubt about it that a modern day turkey hunter that wants a gun that kills birds out there at 50plus yards,can put one together today with some time,money,understanding,and effort.But I truly hope that everyone understands here that just because you've went out and purchased a box of heavi-shot and attached an extended full choke to your gun of choice does not garruntee a dead turkey at 50 plus yards.Read over the topics here theres much more that goes into a quality pattern than just a brand name on a box of shells or the purchasing of an aftermarket choke and so on.Compatibilty within all theseincluding making a few adjustments to help ones physical needs such as scope help heretoo!
Even sofor a # of reasons even with the most modern of equipment limits will still be pushed!I see it every season in the duck blind in our public refuges![&:]With that said I still to the day let all my hunters know when to shoot!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

bob,

Nice post. Not sure why Adrian and I are arguing about this, we typically agree on most things. I guess I just don't appreciate it when someone tells me I don't hunt properly...[8D]...reminds me of my wife !!

I sent Adrian an email, and basically agreed with what both you & he stated, that the average hunter and the beginner probably should not be told to take 40 or 50 yard shots. However, I believe that with the new products on the market combined with a true dedication and large amount of time, long shots should definitely be practiced and in certain situations attempted. Hopefully I've defined those variables well enough for most newbies reading this post understand that the typical shot is ~30 yards, and longer shots should only be attempted under ideal conditions with well-honed experienced and equipment.

Boss, sorry if I ruffled any feathers, no harm or disrespect intended. I get a little cranky when the doctor tells me I have bronchial pneumonia AND a sinus infection, and need bedrest & fluids for 4 days. Glad we have inches of rain falling in New England, otherwise I'd be really cranky [&:]. On that note, if some of you haven't been following our NE weather...parts of NE will see more rain over the past 5 days than during the Great Hurricane of 1938, with catastrophic flooding and major damage projected by the week's end [&o]
Old 05-15-2006, 05:53 PM

....glad to see you guys patched things up....you and your posts both arerespected around here...
Old 05-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got the email and I understand , I just wanted to let this post fall. Everyone to their own and I don't hold anything against anyone if they shoot birds at a far range other then its hard as heck to call them in next time [:@]

I never ment to effend anyone with my opinions , but I think what I ment got across to most about the highest percentage of Turkey hunters end up shooting their birds at 30 yards. My point was that 30 yards is the best range to pattern that was all I ment.

I'm to tired to argue, I'm running my butt off everyday, so you win

The only thing I ask is that if anyone is going to stab me as a Prostaffer then include Rob too because he is in the same boat ...BT
Old 05-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stab you guys as prostaffers?! Hell, most of us only wish we had your life...well the pursuing turkeys everyday part at least.

We'll let you guys do all the permission asking, map-reading, foot scouting, patterning, and people skills...[8D]
Old 05-16-2006, 08:54 AM

The other variable that often gets forgotten with long range patterns is the pellet's retained energy at long yardages. There's a big difference between punching holes through a paper target and busting turkey bones. With the new loads you can stretch yardages some. But guys shooting turkeys at more than 40 yards using #6 lead shot are living on the edge and will lose turkeys eventually.

These are tough birds and we owe it to them and the sport to do everything we can do to ensure a quick clean kill. Part of that is patterning and calling the birds in close. Part of that is calling and a big part of that is your setup. Whenever I can, I set up so that when I first see the bird he is in range. Most of my setups I'm using a rise, ridge, bend in the road, etc., as a visual block at around 30-40 yards. Anything closer than that is gravy. Most of my birds have been taken from 15-25 yards. This spring was the longest shot I've every taken at 41 yards. My son's bird was called into 15 yards before he took him after a 30 minute strutting at 40 yards display where the bird never presented a clear shot at a good angle until we called him in closer. I spend a lot of time and money at the pattern board every spring to make sure I'm doing everthing I can to ensure a quick clean harvest.

Just remember that it gets really easy to under estimate yardage in the excitement of the hunt. It's just one more reason not the stretch a gun pattern to it's limits right off the bat. This is even more likely to occur with newer hunters. A 40 yard shot can become a 60 yard shot once you pace it off after a shot. Then it's more about luck than skill in most cases if the person actually kills the bird.

To me turkey hunting is about the chase! But it sure is nice to close the deal!