Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How Long Do You Wait?

Old 05-05-2006, 11:46 AM

Default How Long Do You Wait?

I was just wondering how long you all wait when you are in a spot where you know there are gobblers early in the morning, but at the momentyou arent hearing any gobbling. Do you sit still and hope something wanders in or do you move around and try to find them in different areas?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Long Do You Wait?

I'll set-up and give out a few calls and then wait 20 minutes before repeating that senerio. Usually by the second or third series of calls, I'll get a response. You have to be careful though, sometimes they sneak in silently. So you have to on top of your game.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

I would wait forever if I could!! LOL No, seriously I went out last week and set-up about 4:30 am, and when the sun came up I didn't hear a single gobble. So I gave a couple series of soft purrs and clucks. Still nothing! After about 30 minutes, a hen showed up in the field and started to feed. I tried to get her fired up, but with no luck. Then just as she was leaving the field on one side, all the sudden a tom steps out of the other. But she was out of his sight, due to a tree line dividing them. Yet he never made a sound! After a few more purrs, he opened up! Then after a minute or two working him, another Tom showed up behind him! So I guess what I am trying to say is that its all up to you but remember they never seem to be around until you get ready to move!!! If your comfortable with your decision to move and maybe if you are hearing them gobble somewhere close to you, then you may be able to get to them before they are with other hens. I would give that area at least a couple hours after sunrise, but that is just me!
Old 05-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

I try to wait as long as I can. Sometimes I set for hours on end especially if I know turkeys are in the area.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends what part of the season I'm in

If the birds are gobbling good I'll move after 1 or 2 hours if I'm not hearing anything... If there not gobbling then I'll stay longer in known turkey country
Old 05-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

if i know that a lot of turkey in the area, i will sit most of the morning. if i do move its only 75-100 yrds then set up again.
another thing is if you get a gobbler talking to you and say a hen takes him away from you, stay put! most of the time when the hen leaves him he will come back to you, its happend to me many times.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:51 PM

i try..(note the key word 'TRY')..to sit tight for two hours or so..this gives the toms or hens to work their way into the fields in search of my dekes..even if i dont hear any gobbling i'm pretty sure there's turkeys in the area..i scout all the time and dont pick my spots cause i like the scenery...lol...
Old 05-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Our birds do this all the time.Especially later in the season.If I know he's there,but just don't hear him I will sit until around 8:30 am(daylight is getting good around 6:30am),then start tracking roads,run-n-gun..etc.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:36 PM

WOOOOHOOOO..@..'run-n-gun'.......my most favorite way to hunt late season turkeys...i hear a gobble?...even a mile away?...i'm off chasing!!...lol...
Old 05-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

When he gobbles back do you immediately respond? or do you wait like 2-3 min and give some soft yelps? what's the best answer?

Quick Reply: How Long Do You Wait?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.