HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   2006 Turkey Season So Far Is %&$*#*% (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/141430-2006-turkey-season-so-far.html)

jrbsr 05-02-2006 09:01 PM

2006 Turkey Season So Far Is %&$*#*%

I am hunting a small tract of public land.
Theres more hunters than turkeys [:'(]
I been close [&:]
I have bumped them [>:]
I have been busted :eek:
And time is running out. [:-]
Only 4 days left. :(

My wife went on third shift and I can't
Get in the woods before sun rise
Because of getting my kids on the bus [:@]

But I did bump into a nice Buck going out of the woods.

Looks like I need to go some place else.
Only thing is a gallon of Gas is worth more than my truck ;)

Any one else having a season like this ?

Arrowmaster 05-03-2006 06:59 AM

RE: 2006 Turkey Season So Far Is %&$*#*%

I myself have had an excellent year. But I know the feeling about being bumped getting busted. I would try to find some private ground to hunt.

extreme1 05-03-2006 01:53 PM

jrbsr----If you weren't so far away you would be more then welcome to hunt with me.Lots of land with just me;)Alot of birds to boot:)

I am having a pretty good year,my first year out and harvested a nice jake on opening day and have seen numerious toms but not in close enough.Not sure if I am blowing my chances as I am still learning alot.Hopefully I will put another one down tomorrow morn and then do a little scouting and try to find the matching side to the shed I found on monday.
Good luck to you on the rest of your season:)

JoeA 05-03-2006 04:55 PM

My friends in Alabama & Louisiana had a slow season full of quiet birds. My cousins in east TX found some luck patterning the turkeysto& from watering areas.

One theory I head from a few hunters was that the mild winter left a lot of cover up, and the turkeys got active a little earlier than expected. Once opening day came around, the peak had already passed.

deerdust 05-03-2006 11:54 PM

Jr, sounds like you need to do some "Runnin' n Gunnin" or "Spot n Stalk" , if you can only get to the woods after daylight. In the last week I have gottenfour birds called in for clients. Only one was a setup, the other two were spot n stalk. Just gotta always be on the watch and listening. Hopefully there will still be some hunting days left when we are done with clients, so I can go hunt. I know I will get to hunt Kansas, but need to get my daughter on a bird in Missouri and one or two for me if I can. Tons of birds out there, but I understand your predicament. Just not enough days left.

[/align]