Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

HOW WAS THE NY OPENER!!

Old 05-02-2006, 03:37 PM

Default HOW WAS THE NY OPENER!!

im from long island ny and because of testing in school im not gonna be able to get upstate until after the 10th, which really sucks but o well. i just wanted to throw a post up here and see how things are shaping up so far?? thanks guys!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:12 PM

Default RE: HOW WAS THE NY OPENER!!

Really slow! I have hunted hard the past two days. I have heard only two birds gobble. That was Monday. The first was roosting with hens and they took him in the opposite direction. The other was about 8:30 AM and he had no interest in any calls. Today I heard nothing.

Saturday was the first day of Pennsylvania. I hunted all morning. I saw a red phase bear, several deer and a coon but did not see or hear a turkey. Around mid-morning I went to my son's house. I had been calling within a hundred yards of the house. When I walked up the driveway there were two long beards standing in his yard.

It can only get better from here.

Tom
Old 05-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in the same boat are you tomslayer, exeptlive right next to where I hunt. But I have school all week followed by SAT's on the 6th[:@]. But hopfully I will be out on sun the 7th before I havea Police Memorial5K to run. Good luck to all fellow New Yorkers this season!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

well over 100 gobbles in two days, one bird was seriousely interested and other than that, just tons of fricken hens stealin away all my fun! oh well, still 27 days left!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:14 PM

opening day was awesome here in Central New York...had eight gobblers all cuttin off my calls but only two ever showed up....had my old hunting buddy with me for his turkey first cause he had only the opener off at work...he made a great shot and came home with his trophy tom...the pics are on his camera so i didnt post it...but, the bird weighed twenty lbs. even and sported a ten and a half inch beard with inch hooks....real nice bird!!...was too bad he shot so many tail feathers off tho...[&:]...when will he ever learn?...lol...he's done that to a few gobblers...lol...
Had a funny happen to me too that opening day...called in two hens with clucks, yelps, and cutting...they ran into the dekes just like we've all seen jakes do on the hunting videos...and proceed to kick the tar outa my alert hen deke...(I think I sorta learned something about hen turkeys too, they'll leave the feeding hen alone...maybe looked a little more subordinate to the real hens than the alert deke...which might have looked like a dominant hen, especially when i would cutt right back at them)...Bill and i just chuckled at the sight...had two coyotes come in to check out the dekes too...i didnt get to shoot....but all in all....I had a great time...
Old 05-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was happy to get 2006 bird #1 opening morning at 5:55am. Came in following two hens that never gave a single peep? Yesterday morning hunted the very same area, but it was quiet as a a chuch in the woods. This morning I slept in because I have a bunch of things to do today.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:05 PM

Seem my recent lost post....things are really heating up here in NY.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1525284
Old 05-03-2006, 06:52 PM

hey guys thanks for all the info!! nice jobto all of you that tagged one and best of luckto all of those that are still trying!

-old longbeards... just wanted to know if you have gotten any of my emails or p.m.'s?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Well...I got lucky and filled tag #2 this morning at 11:30 . After spending nearly two hours walking around and calling without hearing a thing, I decided to give a couple of calls as I was loading my gear into the truck. To my surprise, a gobbler fired back from the posted property across the road. Since I can't hunt there, I thought that I'd mess with him and try to get him fired up just so I could hear him gobble. He started getting closer and I decided to back off and try to coax him over to my side of the road. I laid down some sweet talk with my Woodhaven mouthcall and he sounded like he was in love. Next thing I know... he's on my side of the road and is running full speed through my dad's friends front yard, down the driveway and is coming right for me ( he passed within feet of my parked truck in the process). I barely had time to sit down and put my facemask on! Unfortunately for him he ended up looking down the business end of an 870 supermag and a Kicks choke. I can't believe my season has come to and end after only two hunts. Its certainly not the type of luck that I've grown accustomed to over the years. Looks like I'll be the designated caller for the rest of season .

Here he is...21.5#, 9.5" beard and needle sharp 1" spurs.

Here's my opening morning "split-tail" gobbler...20.5#, 9.5" beard and 1"/ 1.125" spurs.

Man, I can't wait 'til next May. Good luck to all you NY'ers out there!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

WNY smile a little! congrats!

Quick Reply: HOW WAS THE NY OPENER!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.