Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

calling hens?

Old 05-02-2006, 12:41 PM

Default calling hens?

i think i may have a problem with hens.what techniques can be used to calling them in to you and hopefully dragging a tom with her?if not bringing one with her just her her around would be good.cant beat the real thing for a decoy.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:42 PM

Default RE: calling hens?

i called one in last week to 15 yards with soft yelping and purring.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

If soft calling doesn't work, and

If she's responsive, copy her..mimic her do what she does and if she gets louder, you get louder and cut her off. Act more dominant and if you upset her, she'll come.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've found that cussing her out real good will get her riled. Everything that she calls you, you call her right back, and worse. You call her every name in the book. You insult her heritage. You insinuate that she dyes her feathers. You get her so mad that she's going to come over kick your a$$. ...And she'll bring her boyfriend along with her. There is NOTHING that a tom likes better than two hens talking dirty to one another. He'll be hoarse by the time he gets to you.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:52 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I have called in hens before but to many. I had one come in two weeksago and she came in looked at the decoys for a long time and finally left. I did quit calling when she came. It was funny the way she looked at the decoys.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

I love to fire up a hen and yes nothing like the real thing to drag a gobbler with her.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:55 AM

its hard to mimick the sounds of th hens because the birds i hunt are pretty much silent.you dont know they are on the place til the are in your face.even the tom i got last year never gobbled til he was within 15 yards.could this be because of low bird population?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: neb

I have called in hens before but to many. I had one come in two weeksago and she came in looked at the decoys for a long time and finally left. I did quit calling when she came. It was funny the way she looked at the decoys.
See my recent postfor an example of this

Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 PM

anyone know why the birds could be so silent?they arent pressured and not called to much at all.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:16 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I have the same thing happen to me the area I hunt. I have wondered why thay don't make as much noise as some other areas I hunt. Where I hunt the numbers of birds are small and there is aot of coyotes. That is a good question maybe someone can help.

Quick Reply: calling hens?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.