HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   i never missed w/ my Rem. 870.......... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/141221-i-never-missed-w-my-rem-870-a.html)

PA GOBBLER 05-01-2006 08:19 AM

i never missed w/ my Rem. 870..........

until today!!! i am so angry at myself right now. it was such a great hunt, about 8:30 i thought id switch to my glass call, so i clucked and yelped and nothing. then a min. later one sounded off pretty close. so i gave 2 clucks and he cut me off, i waited a min gave another cluck and gobble again and close. so i put the call down got the gun up and waited 5 min goes by and he gobbles again at the same place he was last time just down over a little hill. so i picked up the call and gave 3 yelps and gobbbbbbbble and hes coming got the gun ready and i see the softball head coming right for me. he stops at 45yrds and goes into strut for a min then gobbbbbbbllle and starts to walk right into my gun. then at 40yrds he stops and turns and about to bolt i must have pulled it but i shot and he took off but he took flight and flew and hit a tree, then went down over the hill. i beat feet over there and i looked and looked all over the place but nothing. i went back to where i shot at him and i saw where the leaves were all messed up and not feathers no nothing. so im saying it was miss. this is my 4th season w/ this gun and its the first one i missed, though my guess it was the shooter not the gun... uggggghhhh what can ya do, that's why its hunting. [/align]i got outta there then so i didn't mess the area up anymore hopefully tomorrow it will work out better.[/align]

jepcho 05-01-2006 08:25 AM

RE: i never missed w/ my Rem. 870..........

Man thats a bummer. Keep at it and hopefully you will connect next time!

Antler Eater 05-01-2006 08:28 AM

I wouldn't beat yourself up to bad, it happens. Show me some one who has never had a miss and I will show you someone that hasn't hunted all that long or killed that much game.

At forty yards all a bird needs is a little luck to have his head and neck fall between the pattern of pellets if a fella messes up and pulls the shot.

PA GOBBLER 05-01-2006 12:34 PM

yes ive missed my share of birds. more than i like to admit. lol..
i like them to be in the 30yd range but my gun is deadly at 40 also. i must have just pulled, i know it was a quicker shot than i like to take so...
oh well im cooled down now and tomorrow is another day.

jalvja 05-01-2006 12:56 PM

Sorry bout the miss Pa.I know the feelin.Missed one today too.Sucker came in silent from behind and up the hill.Saw me bout the same time I saw him.

Western MA Hunter 05-01-2006 01:23 PM

Wish I could say that I have never missed!

Hunter06FlKy 05-01-2006 02:33 PM

i would definately have to say that turkey hunting is a sport where at one point or another you'll definately miss. there's absolutely no question about it.

PA GOBBLER 05-01-2006 06:01 PM

oh i hate when they do that jalvja. least give you a warning. well good luck the rest of the season, its just starting. hopefully tomorrow you andi will be posting pics. ;)

ORIGINAL: jalvja

Sorry bout the miss Pa.I know the feelin.Missed one today too.Sucker came in silent from behind and up the hill.Saw me bout the same time I saw him.