Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Rainy days no good?

Old 04-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rainy days no good?

Im going turkey hunting for the first time this year on sunday and it is supposed to rain. This is only my second year turkey hunting so i am inexpierienced, do rainy days mean poor hunting? It is the youth hunt for me and i would like to get a bird before everyone else in my state, if i do ill be sure to put a few pics on here.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rainy days no good?

As long as it is not a complete downpour, the rain won't really bother the birds. Just make sure to keep your box and slate calls dry.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:52 PM

Yea, they might not gobble or it may be hard to hear them. If you don't hear anything go to a spot that has turkeys that is open. (i.e. logging road, field, etc...) Call from their and be patient. I have killed a lot of turkeys in the rain.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:56 PM

OLD RASPY HEN MOUTH CALL!! Works beautiful in the rain because its a higher pitch and carries further. I think in the rain it will be much easier for you being a new hunter, as the rain will conceal a lot of your mistakes, like being to noisey, and moving to much! GOOD LUCK!!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

like the others said get to open places and be patient. a very good call to use in the rain is a glass call with a carbon striker. i have one andi tried it out to see if this was true and it really is. mouth calls are also good but you can't get as loud with them. the high frequency of the glass call really pierces wind and water. i would definately recommend the heavy metal call from mad calls.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

stay patient for flydown. I have seen the rain hold them up in the tree for up to 2 hrs longer than normal.

They have 2 main senses, hearing and sight. If they are in the timber with the heavy, loud sounds of rain they lose one of those. They either hunker down and hide or go to open areas like was mentioned. They can use thier eyes from those open areas more effectivley to see any danger coming.

Actually rain could narrow it down for ya and it does help to cover your mistakes. Killed my first during ashort lullin what could almost be described as a typhoon

Old 04-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with the others. You'll be ok as long as its not a downpour.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed quite a few birds in the rain. I have also been busted by more birds in the rain then on sunny days. The biggest thing I can tell you is be patient. The rain will probably cause the the birds to be silent. So make sure you stay still and watch in all directions, especially before your getting ready to move.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:29 PM

adirondack hunter...are you hunting in new york?...ya might want to check the season opener...lol...ya might be a week and a day early...[&:]....yikes...check that....you said youth....geez..sorry for the mistake
Old 04-19-2006, 10:13 PM

Rain and wind= stubborn birds. Rain alone doesn't hurt the hunt here, and actually helps with concealment and sharp movement mistakes. If I hit that slate call in the rain, or setup with a good clear box cutting, the turks come out of the oak forests.

Quick Reply: Rainy days no good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.