HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   NEED HELP ON A STRATEGY (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/139909-need-help-strategy.html)

buckmarlin 04-17-2006 11:45 AM

NEED HELP ON A STRATEGY

Hey Fellow Hunters,

I am nearing the end of the season in SC, 2 weeks to go. I got a boss gobbler that seems to have my number....I have been close but no cigar several times this season, just to have him shut down a leave. I've even witnessed him beat the heck out of a jake that was coming to my call....but the fight took place behind me and i couldn't move to get a shot....I've harvetsed a couple of nice birds on this lease, the best being a 21lb, 1" spurs, 101/2" beard, 28" fan from side to side. But the guy I want is the Boss, he's bigger.

I know where he roosts and I know where he lands....it's consistent....but just seems like I'm just not setting up right or not doing something right.

I'd apprciate any info on a strategy you can give me. I'm hunting a swamp that is sorrounded by hardwoods big and small. most of the woods is thick. part of my problem I've had him strutting out in front of me 35-50 yards. i could see parts of him through the thick stuff...but have waited to try to get him closer and clearer shot........

help me out please....any suggestions welcome.....i have a field that borders the hardwoods..but it's about 100+ yards from his roost. talk to me boss gobblers.....please!!!! :) thanks.

Criggster 04-17-2006 11:50 AM

RE: NEED HELP ON A STRATEGY

If you know pretty close to where he lands when he leaves the roost try to set up close to that spot. Do a few soft yelps and let him do his usual routine. Those old birds got that way by being smart and/or lucky, but someday his luck will run out!

buckmarlin 04-17-2006 11:59 AM

would you suggest using decoys? i have jakes and a fantail and hens...what you think? thanks for the reply....

old longbeards 04-17-2006 04:39 PM

move closer to where he's hittin the ground at fly down...you might try moving to one side or another too...i would start my hunt with soft tree yelps before hunting light, a flydown cackle, then a few clucks...then....hush up...just mightmake him come looking for you...

NC hunter 04-17-2006 04:55 PM

Just a thought, if possible and if landing zone is far enough from roost not to bump him after dark set hen deke in submissive position,jake ready to mount behind her. Be there EARLY and quietly next morning a very little soft yelping. Worth a try

shaftnem 04-18-2006 09:28 AM

I'd definitely give the jake decoy a try. You've already seen him whip the heck out of a real jake. He'll do the same thing to a decoy. A boss bird won't hardly tolerate a jake competing with him. A gobble shaker might also be worth a try. If that doesn't work, I'd consider putting the call down and just trying to get in front of him. I would think he'd be trying to make his way to that field. If the woods are thick, he's probably got a certain place {trail, old road, etc.} that he's walking regularly. If you can figure out where he wants to go, get in front of him and just let him do his thing.

ktbearpaws 04-18-2006 12:02 PM

When all else fails, and he's not comin in...
You can try to make him jealous.
You might get a gobble call. The best ones is called a pillbox or snuffbox call.
They produce the most realistic gobbles and don't cost anything to make.
They show you how to make one on theField and Streamwebsite.
Word to the wise, you could scare him off or he may come runnin especially, if you use it with a hen call as well.
Make him think another gobbler is movein in on his woman.
Also, BE CAREFUL!!!, People will hunt you when you use this call!!!
And I would make it a last resort.
Good Luck.....