Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

what decoy?

Old 04-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default what decoy?

Hey guys im brand new to turkey hyunting...this is gonna be my first year and i was wondering about decoys...should i get mroe than one or is one good...if i do get mor ethan 1 should it be 2 hens or a jake and a hen...which company makes the best quality for the lowest price...i'm not interested in decoys that are more than 40 bucks for a set...mayeb 50 at most, btu thats a lil ridiculous...well lets hear it from the pros
Old 04-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what decoy?

Personally, I love Buckwing Decoys. I Would opt for a single hen or maybe two. I usually dont use jake decoys.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:27 AM

Any of the decoy brands will work. Personally, I've had better luck using a jake with my hens. The first bird I killed this year, ran right through the middle of 5 live hens and past my hen decoy straight to my jake decoy. He was in full strut as he ran the 200 yds and was mad as he!! when he reached the jake decoy. I wish I had the patience to of let him thump the jake, but I couldn't stand it. I rolled him at 20 yds. Got the whole thing on video, too. I've killed several birds that were more interested in the jake than the hens.In my experience,a hot, boss bird just can't stand the thought of a jake standing out there with his hens. It's definitely something worth adding to your arsenal.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

should i get the collapsible or the regular ones

Old 04-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Nearly all of them are collapsible. The foam ones pack tight but are the least durable and they have a habit of retaining creases from being folded. The ones made of a rubber-like compound are more durable and, in my opinion, more realistic.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Started using a jake last year, sure did distract theTom who's fan and beard are hangin on my wall I used a hen and a jake to pull the ole boy in right after fly down.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Typical Buck

do brands matter and detail or willt he turkeys respond to pretty much anything that resembles a hen and a jake
Old 04-14-2006, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used them all , and the best I have seen is the Bobblin head Buckwing. I will only use a Jake for the first week of the season then from there I go solo with the hen.

The Buckwing is great but the stake system stinks , Toss the stake as far as you can and use only a normal single pole stake. Place it about 1/2 in behind the hole that is in the decoy.

For a new buckwing decoy when it is taken out of the box , open it up and run it under hot water and the dents will pop out of it. I also cut a little material around the moving areas to allow this coy to move a little beter in the wind. But if you do as I have said you will have the most realistic decoy money can buy...BT
Old 04-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

one more...does positioning matter... should i get the breeding pair...the jake feeding or the jake standing...the hen feeding or the hen standing....
Old 04-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Kamil, I got the standing jake and standing hens from RedHead. They are rubberized, look goodand hold their shape pretty well. I think they are on sale for $12.99 at BassPro. I used to have the foam ones, but they tend to split at the seam when you stick your hand in them to puff them out.

Quick Reply: what decoy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.