Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Tips Needed For Hunting Crowded Public Land >

Tips Needed For Hunting Crowded Public Land

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tips Needed For Hunting Crowded Public Land

Old 04-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Tips Needed For Hunting Crowded Public Land

I need tips on how to Turkey hunt on crowded public land.
Or do I just need to go someplace else?

Thank You
Old 04-10-2006, 08:43 PM

Default RE: Tips Needed For Hunting Crowded Public Land

wait til the last couple of weeks of the season. You could also go during the week when most aren't there. If you can't do this, then put on your running shoes and get as far away from the public road as you can. and when you think you're far enough away from people,then keep walking. Also try hunting in the afternoon if your state allows this. Most hunters are morning hunters and leave after 10:00 am.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:48 PM

Go someplace else? Yes, you might as well just leave public land for all the illigal imigrants that are starting to hunt! HeHeHe don't laugh it's true!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

i have to do this every year. so here are a few things that i do, and it helps me out a lot.be the first one there and the last to leave. first day and sat's when you are going to have more guys out there hunting. get a nice spot and sit tight and call soft. and wait. most of the birds i kill are after 10, when a lot of guys leave and hens nest. another thing is which might not be a big deal but i feel it works is, where i hunt everyone uses mouthcalls.. well so do i, i love them, but i dont hear anyone useing box calls so thats what ill use. a little different sound then every other hunter is using and the birds havent heard. another thing i do if at all possible i set up in an area where if a bird shows he is already in gun range or close to it. they have seen all the tricks and if they dont see that hen moving good luck. and last while moving put the orange on, too many nuts out there. good luck to ya
Old 04-11-2006, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

very good advice Pa.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

I have the same problem, but dont plan on giving up. This last weekend was week 3 in GA, and I got out there before anyone else. It was raining too so that kept a lot of people away. Anyway, while walking out to the swamp in the dark I was surprised by a loud gobble nearby. Unfortunately, I didnt bag him, but maybe next time!

I read somewhere about 2 hunters both doing yelping/cutting together so it sounds like 2 hens bickering. I will try that next time I go out with my buddy. Hopefully that might steer a gobbler away from other callers.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

PA provided some great advice. I hunt both private and public land. Take a backpack full of food and water and be prepared to stay all day. If you can't hunt but 6-8 hours, then hunt from 8-4 - I'm serious.Get a goodnight's sleep, forgetabout the early morning stuff andconcentrate on late morning and mid-day, when everybody leaves.

I don't have the patience to sit in one place, so I spend all my time "cutting and running", trying to find a bird that is alone and willing to play. Two advantages here that I see:

1. You cover more ground, expose your calling to more turkeys, and therefore increase you chances of success.

2. Great way to loose weight and get in shape.

Get some confortableboots and take off. I use a variety of calls when doing this, including high-pitched and raspy mouth calls and a MAD Super Aluminator that is so loud and high pitched it will hurt you ears.

Good luck
Old 04-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PA GOBBLER

another thing is which might not be a big deal but i feel it works is, where i hunt everyone uses mouthcalls.. well so do i, i love them, but i dont hear anyone useing box calls so thats what ill use. a little different sound then every other hunter is using and the birds havent heard.
I always thought that was the first friction call a none hunting public land hunter used!!!!

I think the mouth calls you do hear you wont have to worry about reproducing those sounds

Old 04-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

I'm the first in,and last to leave.I also have my best luck around mid-day.I would call softer than usual,almost like you saw a coyote looking at you,but had to call to that gobbler.Public land hens generally talk softly like this.Most hunters call too loud or too often.When a bird that has been gobbling at them shuts up ...they leave...This may be a terrible mistake.He may very well be coming.Most public land birds do not gobble all the way in.The ones that do generally get a free ride to the house the first week or two of the season.

The bird I shot last friday I had to work for 1 hour,and 50 minutes.He didn't gobble the last 45 minutes of the hunt.I had not heard him in 30 minutes,and I was standing up to leave when I saw the hen coming to me,gobbler in tow.Isat back downon my knees,kept soft talking the bird,and 15 minutes later when he got seperated from his hen he came right in.So when he gets quiet I would give him 45 minutes to an hour,before I gave up.Your patience may be well rewarded.A gobbler that answers you knows exactly where you are,and when he decides to come,usually he will come in drumming,and in half strut taking a step..looking around..go back in half strut...break strut look around.You get the idea.He will generally just pop up.Or he may get to the general area,and gobble a searching gobble,as if to say where are you I know you were here a little while a go.

First thing I would do would be to make a trip to your near by walmart.Make note of all the calls they have,and discard them from your arsenal.You don't want to sound like every other hunter out there.90% of the hunters are going to be using slates IMO.

If you know most people are using slates..use a box..If most use a mouth call,use a scratch box,orwingbone and so on.You get the point,just try to have a call that sounds different than everyone elses.Even if it means switching strikers for a different sound.

Most people now are using decoys.Leave yours at the house.Let that tom come all the way in searching for that hen.Basically all I'm telling you is what ever everyone else is doing..do the opposite.I ride my bike(I have a gun rack on it),and walk alot.I don't park my truck near where I am hunting.

Few more tips..
Don't yelp a whole lot,around here on public land most hens cluck,and purr.If they do yelp it is soft,short yelps.

Don't crow,or call from the road.Get off in the woods.

Don't hoot or make any calls at daylight,let the birds gobble on their own.Move in then start your calls.

Don't tell anyone you hear or see a bird.Sorry but there are time's you need to keep things to yourself.You can show them the bird once he's in the back of your truck.

Have a friend drop you off at your spot.Leave your truck somewhere else.

Don't use a flashlight in the mornings.

If there is alot of people hunting in your area,and you were there first.Scatter some feathers around a spot they will likely be seen.Hopefully they will find them,and think the bird has been taken.

Maybe these aren't all popular tips,but the truth is bro.If you want a public land bird you are going to have to outsmart the other hunters,not the bird.That's only the second part of the battle.Hope I helped.

There are a few other tricks,but I can't give everything away.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's a push button friction call made for just this reason. It has 2 buttons/strikers and can be operated to produce fighting purrs.

Quick Reply: Tips Needed For Hunting Crowded Public Land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.