HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Decoy Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/139267-decoy-question.html)

swisslake 04-10-2006 06:14 PM

Decoy Question

I am relatively new to spring turkey hunting & leave next week to hunt for 3 days. A freind who has done some hunting recommended that I get a jake deoy & position it over a hen on the ground in breeding position. Anyone feel this is better than just a hen or two?

Wingbone 04-10-2006 06:34 PM

RE: Decoy Question

Yes, and No. I'd use a jake and hen earlier in the season. But I'd keep it at least 5-10 yd's away from the hen. A dominant hen won't let a submissive jake near her. You want the jake to look wimpy. Really makesa tommad. Later in the season, when everyone has used the 2-hens-and-a-jake setup, use a hen alone and don't call much.

hillbillyhunter1 04-10-2006 07:34 PM

If I was a newbie turkey hunter, I would maybe take just a hen decoy. Don't get too fancy at first. No matter what a single hen decoy will work. No decoy will also work.

Mastevt 04-10-2006 07:42 PM

I have found when hunting an area, where there are several toms, but only 1 or 2 may be dominate, that the jakes and subordanant toms are reluctant to come into a set up with a jake decoy in it. I'm not sure, but would guess they got a woppin from the big boys, and don't respond to the jake decoy, for fear of another woppin. I strictly use 1 or 2 hens, maybe 3 if it's early in the season, but no jake. I have never called in a big tom with a jake decoy setup with hens. However, I have called in several big daddy's with just 1 hen decoy, and twice with none at all. That said, every place is differant, and every hunt is differant, and what may not work for me here, maybe just the opposite there for you. If I were you, give a jake set up first thing on day one, use it till late morning, then, if nothing is happening, take the jake out, move a little, and reset up with just one hen, and call softly. Alot of times after the hen's get bred and go to the nest in late morning, you can find a lonely tom, and coax him in. good luck, I hope this helps.

TDE 04-10-2006 08:40 PM

Wow, everyone has different experiences!

I've had at least 3 tom's turn and run when they get in close and gobble and my loan hen didn't move a muscle. So, no more single hens for me. Double hens have been my only success to date. I've been reluctant to throw a jake into the mix due to other's varying experience. There will be plenty of people who say the breeding hen and jake is the way to go. Also, the most successful hunter I personally know uses no decoys at all.

RIStrutStopper 04-10-2006 09:16 PM

I like one hen and one jake. Face the jake towards you and put the hen a few feet away, in front of the jake, but facing left or right. Make it look like the jake is lookin to come up on the hen from behind. The Tom will likely want to get face to face with the jake, giving you the chance to get your gun up.