Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Big Tom down in Va.!!!!

Old 04-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Big Tom down in Va.!!!!

Way to go Dave. Did you take this bird in the Stafford area? I called one in for my father in law on Saturday. Not as nice as yours, but it's always exciting. I am going out to Loudon County tomorrow AM and hope for a good morning. Congrats and I agree with the full body mount. If I take a nice one, that's the way I'm going!

Be Safe,
Mike
Old 04-11-2006, 02:01 PM

Thanks again for the complements. Ihavetwo more tagsand with the second part of the season legal to hunt all day I think I just might use'em.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:10 PM

Yes Mike it was near Stafford, kind of, sort of, well in the Northen Va. area. HeHeHe, don't want to give out too much info, the turkeys are running around like squirrels out here!
Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: coolbrze0

ORIGINAL: dr0ptin3

congrats man. where in VA are you?
Droptine - how's the hunting in the 'burg? My bro went to JMU and I've got a couple spots down that way, 1 right off 33 a couple miles off 81. It's a hundred acre farm that backs up to Massanutten Mtn. and there are some birds up that way.
My family owns some land a few miles off 33 near massanutten as well. Its a great area to hunt. theres also a ton of GWNF access around harrisonburg too, out 33 towards WV.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:36 PM

Whats up CoolBrze0 did you get in the woods this morning? Sorry I couldn't hook up with you guys[:@]! Hopefully these showers coming in this weekend move through quickly.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Dave, I am in VA in Southhampton and I am not able to go until Wed. Congrats and I hope I have news to give.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, never made it out today, got caught up w/ things, mtg. at work, errands, etc. Hopefully the weather will cooperate Fri. and Sat.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:55 PM

Keep us posted Allen. I think Va. has a very healthy flock. How many other states let you hunt only until noon? The conservation seems to be working.
One more thing, if this bird was all alone I wonder what the gobbler looks like hang'en with the hens[8D]?
Old 04-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats Davester, nice bird, you said it was in the oven do you do anything to tenderize a old bird like that.

Tar Heel
Old 04-15-2006, 07:24 AM

Not really. It was soooo delicious! It does not taste "gamey" at all. The meat is very juicy and tender. First I cooked the giblets (neck,heart,liver, and of course the gizzard) and made turkey gravy MMMMMMMMMM!! That held me over until the bird was done about four and a half hours later. I skinned the bird, a lot easier and cleaner. You have to remove the thigh shield plates in the legs after cooking, I eat everything!