Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Some people are just stupid!!!! >

Some people are just stupid!!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Some people are just stupid!!!!

Old 04-06-2006, 11:18 AM

Default Some people are just stupid!!!!

I was at in class today and was talking to this girl about turkeys. She is a typical girl she calls antifreeze the green stuff thats in your car. Well she was tellin me how she saw some turkeys on her way to work. So we got to talkin about size and I told her an average eastern tom turkey stands between 26 and 32 inches tall. She said no way so she had to call her friend that is also a hunter. She thinks he knows everything about hunting. She also talks to her dad and both of them said I was smokin somethin. I asked her why they said that and she said that they said that turkeys don't get bigger than 22 inches and that I didn't know what I was talkin about. They said they wanted to see some of these mammoth turkeys, come on 26 to 32 inches aint that big. What do you guys think.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some people are just stupid!!!!

22 inches?? Yeah when they arent even a year old, or possibly a hen.But nota full grown tom. I'd have to agree with you on this one!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:23 PM

From the NWTF website:

http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/history_eastern_wild_turkey.html

Eastern Wild Turkey
The eastern wild turkey (Meleagris gallopavo silvestris( is the most widely distributed, abundant and hunted subspecies of the five distinct subspecies found in the United States. It inhabits roughly the eastern half of the country.
The eastern wild turkey is found in hardwood and mixed forests from New England and southern Canada and northern Florida in the east to Texas, Missouri, Iowa and Minnesota in the west. It has also been successfully transplanted in states outside of its orginal range including: California, Oregon and Washington.
L.J.P. Vieillot first described and named the eastern subspecies in
1817 using the word silvestris,
meaning "forest" turkey.
The eastern wild turkey ranges the farthest north and individuals can grow to be among the largest of any of the subspecies. The adult male, called a gobbler or tom, may measure up to 4 feet tall at maturity and weigh more than 20 pounds. Its upper tail coverts, which cover the base of the long tail feathers, are tipped with chestnut brown and its tail feathers are tipped with dark buff or chocolate brown. In contrast, its breast feathers are tipped in black. Rich, metallic, and copper/bronze iridescence characterize other body feathers.
The primary wing feathers have white and black bars that extend from the outer edge of each all the way to the shaft. Secondary wing feathers have prominent white bars and are edged in white, producing a whitish triangular area on each side of the back when the wings are folded on the back.
A mature female, called a hen, may be nearly as tall but is usually lighter, weighing between eight and twelve pounds. Females are similar in color to the males but more brown, and the metallic reflections are less brilliant. Feathers of the hen's breast, flanks and sides are tipped with brown rather than the black and white tips of the male.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

I'll bet them fellas turkeys look ALOT like a pheasant
Old 04-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: snowdog2

From the NWTF website:

http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/history_eastern_wild_turkey.html

Eastern Wild Turkey
The eastern wild turkey (Meleagris gallopavo silvestris( is the most widely The adult male, called a gobbler or tom, may measure up to 4 feet tall at maturity and weigh more than 20 pounds.
48"
Old 04-06-2006, 07:08 PM

Thats what I was thinkin. They are hunting the wrong birds. Maybe they have some dwarf breed of turkey. Heck it might even be their neigbors chickens.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: saltflat

Thats what I was thinkin. They are hunting the wrong birds. Maybe they have some dwarf breed of turkey. Heck it might even be their neigbors chickens.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:10 PM

hmmm....maybe thats the new pigmy sub-species..
Old 04-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

My pet turkeys here at home are around 45" tall and weigh around 40 lbs. Thats the 2 toms I have. The hens are around 36" tall and weigh over 20 lbs. But their kept in pens. I have bigeastern turkeys. Ive got pics to prove it.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:03 PM

Cool arrowmaster I want to see some pics. I think it would be cool to raise turkeys. I have also always wanted to raise deer. Just dreams I guess.

Quick Reply: Some people are just stupid!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.