HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Turkeys in the Rain (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/138783-turkeys-rain.html)

Bloodstayn 04-05-2006 01:27 PM

Turkeys in the Rain

OK turkey freaks......This is my first turkey season and Im going for it full steam. I have been practicing my calls with a cd, I got a crow call, 3 mouth calls, box call (that works wet), and a gobbler shaker. I got a pop up ground blind, mossberg 500 xxfull turkey choke, and more camo than I know what to do with. Here is my dilema...........It is supposed to thunderstorm opening day. Now Im getting out there EARLY. I get off of work around 2am so I am just gunna go home get dressed and head out. I will probably nap when Im finally set up. My question is.....are my efforts pointless? Will I see turkey in rain?? Ive got a HOT spot picked out, not once did I go out there and not see turkeys, not tracks, TURKEYS. Should I hunt or wait for sunday?? I REALLY want to hunt opening day.

SpurIA 04-05-2006 01:42 PM

RE: Turkeys in the Rain

Hunt!! you can't shoot anything at home:D. If your hot spot is near a open field or open timber I wouldn't hesitate setting up in the rain. Now if it is one of those heavy downpours[:@]I would wait in the truck for it to let up. I have had real good luck after hard rains:D. JMO

nchawkeye 04-05-2006 01:45 PM

Dang man...you've got me worn out before you've headed out...
Patience will go along way in hunting...If you want to go hunt, go..
I ain't never killed one in the living room...Turkeys move less in the rain
depending on how hard its raining,etc...Last opening day here in NC was
windy as heck...I still got lucky...Go enjoy the outdoors, don't worry if you
kill anything or not...

Bloodstayn 04-05-2006 01:45 PM

My spot is an open field surrounded on all sides by thick woods. And the forcast says scattered thunderstorms, so is probably going to rain hard and stop, on and off all day.

Bloodstayn 04-05-2006 01:59 PM

LOL, no man, Im not worrying. I will probably hunt regardless of what you guys tell me. Just curious about what to expect.

deeg1502 04-05-2006 02:03 PM

Bloodstayn,
I've killed many of my best turkey's in the rain. Like SpurIA said, find the areas where it opens up. Preferably, near a pasture or open field. Turkey's love to hit the fields when it starts to rain. As long as it ain't lightning and turkey season is in...I'm going to be out there. Now, if the rain is pouring then I'll wait it out in my truck. If the rain is lightlycoming down, then I'll put me on some rain gear and hit the trails. Most of the time when the rain starts, hens will head torwards the nest to keep eggs warm, so this leaves the gobbler vulnerable to your sweet calls. Good luck and be safe this upcoming weekend!

David Ellis

Hunter06FlKy 04-05-2006 02:08 PM

your best bet would be to set up on an open field or something like that. most likely they'll fly down a good bit later especially if it's thundering and such. just try it and see what happens.

old longbeards 04-05-2006 05:28 PM

Bloodstayn, good advice from everyone here...go hunt!!..that blind'll keep you dry and like deeg said....when the rains come down the birds visit the fields (or open areas in the woods like clear-cuts) ...call a little less frequently than if the sky were clear...i have a good feeling about this...lol..good luck

statjunk 04-05-2006 07:09 PM

I see the most turkeys in light rain with no wind. They don't call much though. If it is a down pour I wouldn't bother. Strong wind is also a deal breaker for me.

Tom

TopH2O 04-05-2006 08:48 PM

Get out there. I have had great success hunting in the rain. Thundercan spook Turkeys into gobbling.

Several years ago, I hunted a piece of public land all morning without a nibble. I covered a lot of ground, and couldn't get anything going. At about 11AM, a storm moved in. As I worked back to my car, a loud clap of thunder cracked overhead. As soon as the the clap ended, the woods around me errupted with gobbles. A second overhead clap confirmed the location of several birds. Some crawling and calling got me within shooting distance of 3 nice birds, one of who's tail and beard hang over my computer as I write this.

Get out there!