Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Cody vs. Woodhaven

Old 04-04-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Cody vs. Woodhaven

I've decided that I want to get a new slate call, but cant make up my mind between the woodhaven slate and the cody woodsman. Which one would you recomend?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cody vs. Woodhaven

i like the cody
Old 04-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

cody
Old 04-05-2006, 08:15 AM

Cody all the way!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:27 AM

Since I'm affiliated with the sting team from Woodhaven I'm going to part on their behalf. Their products are pretty costly, but they really take pride in the production of their calls. Also, they fine tune every call that is produced. I know most companies do this, but they have two of the best call tuners in the industry of turkey calls. Another thing I like about woodhaven is how they stretch their diaphragms. They use a wide variety of latex. Presently I'm a competition caller and when I'm stage calling I do not use company based diaphragms. I have somebody stretch my diaphragms to my desired sound, but if I were to use a diaphragm that was stretched from any of the companies out there, then it would have to be by woodhaven. All in all, Woodhaven makes quality calls. The only flaw that goes along with this company is the overall price, which if you want a quality product you'll have to dig deep into your pockets! GOOD LUCK to all!

David Ellis
Old 04-05-2006, 08:31 AM

Cody makes one heck of a call
Old 04-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

Not to go against the grain, but my son picked up one of the inexpensive NWTF slates made by Woodhaven while at the NWTF convention in Nashville. For a $20.00 call I think it sounds great and it's easy to use. In a month he has learned to yelp, putt, purr, tree call, and cut on it. I intend to use it some this weekend.

The best pot call I found at the convention was the Robert's Brothers glass over slate, made byJerry and TommyRoberts in Georgia. This call was used to win the friction championship this year. I got one with a purple heart striker and I really like the combination of high, low, sweet, and raspy sounds I can get out of it using different strikers and surfaces. My dad bought one after seeing mine and has killed (or called in for others to take) 4 turkeys so far this season. He likes the aluminum striker on the glass, which makes a raspy but higher pitched yelp. I used a MAD plastic striker on the glass to call in three Sunday.

Here is the link: http://www.robertsbrothersturkeycalls.com/m100.ivnu
Old 04-05-2006, 08:54 AM

Don't get me wrong...long before woodhaven came about I was using all of CODY's friction calls. Shoot, I'm still using CODY's glass call. I've had this call since I was 12 years old. It's one of the best calls I've ever used, but its running out of glass. I have a couple of wearing spots on this call because of constant use. What causes the overall differences in sounds produced by a slate, glass, or crystal is the striker. I can almost take any call that is placed in front of me and fine tune it and find a striker that goes perfectly with call and make some amazing sounds with it. Most of the time the striker that comes with the call is a standard for a master call that was produced in previous years and they pretty much stay with same protocal. If you get a hold of some quality strikers try running them on your slate, glass, or crystal. I have more strikers than I need, but I can produce any sound you ask me too on any glass, slate, or crystal call. Popular strikers these days are the one with flare tips. It makes calling a heck of a lot easier. Also, make sure you condition your strikers as well. Hope this helps and GOOD luck to all!

David Ellis
Old 04-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Cody... I like it and I use it.
BUT I got from gift certificate money years ago, if the money was directly coming out of my pocket I would never buya Cody or any other "custom" call.
For much less money Knight and Hale's Ol' Yeller ( which I also carry) or a number of other call companies make decent calls that will work just as good. Save your money and put the extra towards raingear, or other equipment.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:44 PM

Cody nuf said!

Quick Reply: Cody vs. Woodhaven

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.