Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

modified choke

Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 PM

Default RE: modified choke

I just read JLmoore's post and couldnt call my local gunsmith fast enough. He says its no big deal at all. It never even crossed my mind to have a barrel tapped to accept chokes. I bought a whole new gun cause my remington 1187 is a fixed modified. UN FREAKIN BELIEVEABLE. And my gunsmith only charges $75 to do it. He says the only catch is it has to be a certain thickness. Well guess where my remington is spending the weekend!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your modified choke will kill every turkey it hits as long as you keep your shots within the limits of your gun.

Simply pattern the gun at various yardages and stay within that acceptable yardage when it comes time for the shot. The other thing you want to be sure of is to check your guns point of impact so you don't get any surprises if one comes in up close and personnal.

Yes it is nice to have a gun that will "mow'em down" at fifty yards but it is not a prerequisite to go turkey hunting. Over 90 % of the turkeys I have killed with a shotgun have been under 30 yards and a number of them under twenty. For some of these tight shooting guns if the bird is under twenty yards your handicapping yourself.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bloodstayn

I just read JLmoore's post and couldnt call my local gunsmith fast enough. He says its no big deal at all. It never even crossed my mind to have a barrel tapped to accept chokes. I bought a whole new gun cause my remington 1187 is a fixed modified. UN FREAKIN BELIEVEABLE. And my gunsmith only charges $75 to do it. He says the only catch is it has to be a certain thickness. Well guess where my remington is spending the weekend!!!!!!
Hey I might need the address to that gun smith. If I remember from Carlson's it had to be a certain wall thickness. And with Carlson's, and I would have to go to the website to check, you also get two or three chokes........ so i am seriously thinking about having it done to one, and if the other can, have both done! [8D]
Old 04-06-2006, 05:42 AM

Hey I might need the address to that gun smith.
pm your email to me. This guy is awesome, hasnt let me down yet. I doubt hes giving me ony chokes with the deal though. He says (if its the right thickness) he will tap it to accept rem chokes. This dude also only charges (i want to say) $35 for a trigger job. Anyway, hes in NC if you want the info, and he has his FFL if that makes you feal any better about it.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:50 PM

Sorry to report, My barrell was to small. But I still reccomend swinging it by your local gsmith and seeing what he can do. Or buying a new barrell. My gunsmith said the Outer diameter of the barrell had to be .850 of an inch. If that help anybody.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

Modifieds do not work well. They would have to be extremely close to be effective. I wouldnt use one. It may wound it and then suffer. I will only be an ethical hunter.
While you don't have the range of a Full or Super Full choke it's all about finding the right combination.My wife shoots Hevi•Shot® 20ga #6's and takes Turkeys at 35yds. Look here to see what I mean:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1454516&mpage=2&key=&#145538 2