Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

modified choke

Old 04-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default modified choke

has any one used a modified choke? is it good or bad? some help please
Old 04-04-2006, 01:21 PM

Default RE: modified choke

for turkey hunting? no. works great tho when im duck or dove hunting
Old 04-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm using a modified. If that's all ya got I think you are fine. Shoot some shells and see how many pellets your getting in a 2 inch circle. I'm good up to 30 yds.
Mine does ok.
C7
Old 04-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Modifieds do not work well. They would have to be extremely close to be effective. I wouldnt use one. It may wound it and then suffer. I will only be an ethical hunter.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

while i dont think i would use it, could work at lessthan 20 yrds
Old 04-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well IMHO, for turkeys it might not be the best. Seems the pattern would open up too much and risk missing, wounding and not recovering, or killing the bird, but wasting or messing most of the good meat because of pellets all over. But again, just MHO! [8D]
Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I would highly recommend getting at least a full choke. You can shoot it at paper and see but honestly, I wouldn't use it if I was you.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

well the thing is that thats how i bought it and i cant change itits a combo rifle with a 30.06 and a 12 gauge but i cant change the choke so what do i do lol? shoot my shotgun then try to throw a rock at the tom if it tries to run away lol?
Old 04-05-2006, 12:28 AM

mod would be fine for doves and quail, but other than that i wouldnt use it. check your chokes and find the full, i think you will like that better. otherwise just let the turkeys get in close and try your luck. all it takes is a couple of bb's to connect in the right spot.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: G_O_N

well the thing is that thats how i bought it and i cant change itits a combo rifle with a 30.06 and a 12 gauge but i cant change the choke so what do i do lol? shoot my shotgun then try to throw a rock at the tom if it tries to run away lol?
No need to play the fiddle yet, or poke it with a stick! I have an over and under I am thinking of using as a turkey gun but dont have adjustable chokes. However, did some research on google and there are several companies, like Carlson chokes that will I guess you say tap the barrel if it has a certain wall thickness and prepare it for interchangeable chokes. It is like 85.00 give or take per barrel, cheaper i think if do both together of a double. I am gonna have at least one done because i like the feel of the gun.

Second, the best thing with the modified is get some shells and pattern it. 20, 30, 40 yards, and see how it hits. Maybe it will be okay to use........ use the 10 inch circle and then the turkey head targets and it will give you a good idea. Then once you know the max effective distance, you make sure you mark it some way and then wait for a tom to get close! [8D]

Quick Reply: modified choke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.