Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Why such a controversy over 3 1/2" shells >

Why such a controversy over 3 1/2" shells

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why such a controversy over 3 1/2" shells

Old 03-29-2006, 08:06 AM

Default Why such a controversy over 3 1/2" shells

I keep reading these posts about people saying that they dont use 3 1/2" shells b/c they "Kick too much". The way I look at it is, that if I have a big old Longbeard strutting into my decoys, the last thing I am thinking about is how bad it is going to hurt when I pull th trigger. In fact every bird I have shot has been with a 3 1/2" shell and I can say that I dont even remember pulling the trigger let alone the kick.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Spike

Default RE: Why such a controversy over 3 1/2" shells

I agree.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea i agree , when you have that bird in im not thinking about the kick at all, and either way i dont usually plan on shooting more then one time lol but also i think deer rifles kick more then shotguns and sometimes people let loose with a volley of shots at one deer without complaints...
Old 03-29-2006, 09:50 AM

The reason I don't shoot 3.5 is because a 3" will kill any bird out to 40 yards. If I am not going to shoot any farther than that then why pay more money for more pellets. You can only kill a bird so dead. Plus the recoil might not be as bad or it might be worse, but when it comes to patterning it I don't want anymore recoil than I have to put up with. Anybody and everybody I have ever talked to boasts about how a 3.5 will knock you on your a$$ and it will make a man out of ya. I haven't ever shot a 3.5, but until my 3 quits killing turkeys I probably won't. I hope you guys on the forums don't think I am arguing with you. I am not and don't have any type of a problem with guys that shoot 3.5. I am all for anything that kills a turkey efficiently, but these are just some of my reasons for not shooting 3.5. Good luck this spring.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: River Hunter

I keep reading these posts about people saying that they dont use 3 1/2" shells b/c they "Kick too much". The way I look at it is, that if I have a big old Longbeard strutting into my decoys, the last thing I am thinking about is how bad it is going to hurt when I pull th trigger. In fact every bird I have shot has been with a 3 1/2" shell and I can say that I dont even remember pulling the trigger let alone the kick.
Amen Amen brother!

Its like some of them "look down" on hunters that use 3.5'' shells. I've NEVER felt the recoil of ANY gun while shooting at a deer, turkey, ducks, or anything else.

Shooting at paper you feel it more, but the 3.5''s aren't like a RPG like everyone says they are.

Like I said in the other thread. I bought a 3.5'' gun just to shoot 3.5'' shells. So, I am going to shoot them.

What really gets to me is some comments like "call them in closer". This is bs b/c just like i said in the other thread, I've never shot a turkey over 30-35 yards.

Yes, a 3'' shell will get the job done. But you know what? So will the old paper shells that my grandfather used to shoot when he was younger. So, why doesn't everyone just use them?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:59 PM

They had paper shells, that is awesome. What type of a shotgun did they shoot those out of. Honestly I never knew they had such a thing.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: saltflat

They had paper shells, that is awesome. What type of a shotgun did they shoot those out of. Honestly I never knew they had such a thing.
Yeah, right before plastic hulls, and if well maintained will shoot out of any modern gun of the same caliber. I have some of them but haven't tried shooting any. Some folks sell them for like 50 bucks a box as a collector's item. Do a search for vintage shotgun shells and you can get a look see.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:10 PM

ALOT of guys who badmouth 3.5" guns are doing so because their wives won't let embuy a new gun and since they can't have one (and don't have their household in order) neither should anyone else!!!

Then another section of the population is "skeert" by a little ol 8# piece of steel and plastic. Imagine that a 200#, grown man being skeert of such a thing!!!

Being as I have yet to see "degrees of dead", I'd shoot a 5"er if they made it!!!
RA
Old 03-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

all hail the might 3.5. I ain't skeered and would dump all five if I had to.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:48 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey I own both but have gone back to 3 inch.
Mainly because the 3" gun was better suited for turkeys due to size and weight. And I will never own a Mossberg - shot a few and those puppies kick more than any other 3.5 I have ever shot. Why beat the living crap outa yourself?

And to me the hype of 3.5 was to allow the hunter to take shots further than 40. You hear about it all the time. So if you never take shots further than 40 - Dead is dead whether a 3.5 or a 2 3/4 shell.

Same with the hype of Hevi-shot - Don't need it and won't pay for it! I am going to stick my copper plated buffered shells. They pattern just fine. With shots taken between 20 to 30 yards.

But each to their own!

JW

Quick Reply: Why such a controversy over 3 1/2" shells

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.