Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Why such a controversy over 3 1/2" shells >

Why such a controversy over 3 1/2" shells

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why such a controversy over 3 1/2" shells

Old 03-30-2006, 03:11 PM

Default RE: Why such a controversy over 3 1/2" shells

Howler, I am beginning to see your point. I admit I hadn't looked at it in terms of the # of pellets striking the bird. In that case, yes, I understand. But, each individual pellet still weighs the same and has the same energy. So, I would think then, that if someone says you can shoot a bird farther away because the load has more energy, I would think this to be innacurate.

Again, I have no problem at all with what someone uses. As long as nobody has any issues with me not using anything larger than a 3" shell......I think we'll all get along fine.

Not that I even care. I hunt with a bow anyway.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

"but I remember those old paper shells"
I remember them too. I used to take the wax off the end and fill the shell with Crossman BBs and shoot through car fenders ata junk yard.
C7
Old 03-31-2006, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

Actually, it takes a mighty big rifle to equal the recoil of a 3 1/2 inch shotgun shell. The recoil is about twice that of a .30/06. I once owned a .375 H&H magnum rifle and it seemed to kick considerably less than 3 1/2 inch shells in my 835. If you want an interesting experience, fire a few carefully aimed 3 1/2 shells from a bench rest.
A typical high-brass load with 1 1/4 ounces of shot at a MV of 1330 fps fired in a 7.5 pound shotgun is much worse. It belts the shooter with 36.4 ft. lbs. of recoil. This is roughly equivalent to the kick of a .300 Ultra Mag. rifle. Average hunters should strictly limit the number of such loads they fire to avoid developing a flinch.
12 gauge Magnum shells are even worse. A 2 3/4 inch Magnum shell throwing 1 1/2 ounces of shot at 1260 fps from a 7.5 pound shotgun belts the shooter with 45.9 ft. lbs. of recoil, somewhat more than the recoil of a typical .375 H&H Magnum rifle shooting 300 grain factory loads! And the 3 inch Magnum 12 gauge shell firing 1 7/8 ounces of shot at a MV of 1210 fps in that same 7.5 pound shotgun slams the shooter with over 60 ft. lbs. of recoil energy. This is equivalent toand exceeds the recoil of a typical .458 Winchester Magnum rifle. This is literally recoil in the elephant gun class, and most shooters would be well advised to avoid such loads.
Thanks for the info Rebel.
I knew that sucker kicked--and I am not recoil sensitive. Over the years, I have fired some pretty big guns. When I got my 835, I justHAD to try the 3 1/2 shells. I could have dealt with the recoil if necessary, but I saw no need. That firstboxwas the only box I bought. I have used 3" since. For me, the pleasure inturkey hunting is calling the bird in close. Unless I misjudge the range, I try never shoot at more than 35 yards. At that range, the 3" shells hit like a hammer. Oh, by the way, when I started turkey hunting, I usedPAPER 2 3/4 inch shells.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

I can't tell the difference between the recoil of a 3" and a 3 1/2"
Old 03-31-2006, 06:50 AM

Rebal, Just to let you know I hunt with a 20 gauge and am very confident with it.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Bloominghunter2

Rebel, Just to let you know I hunt with a 20 gauge and am very confident with it.
Allen, I have been doing it for over 50yrs and I go shoot my bird and come home. Never have I shot one over 20-25yds. If and when I can't call them within that range anymore, I'll go to Publix and buy one from then on!
Over the years, I have spent many hours sitting in the woods without a weapon, practicing the calls. Do the same with the quail. But like I mentioned before, to each his own!I'm not telling pepole this is the way, I'm saying it's my way! Millionsof turkeys have been takenwith paper 2-3/4" shells before the plastic Extended Range, Mag Loads and Hevy-Shot 3" and 3-1/2" shells were introduced. IMO, it's turning into a Turkey shoot instead of a Turkey hunt! But then again, to each his own.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm getting great patterns out of my 3"

Until I see one with my own eyes(not some numb nut saying he's getting 40 or more hits in the vitals at 60 yards) out shoot my 3", I'll stick with what I have!!!!
Old 04-01-2006, 02:50 PM

I really don't care what anyone else shoots, it's really a personal preference. There is one thing I liked to bring up. Your better off determining what size shell you use by the ballistics, then by the length of the shell. There are several 3" shells that have a higher fps then thier 3-1/2" counterparts and the difference between the shot is only an 1/8oz.I'd rather have the extra 100fps in my 3' shell, then the extra 1/8 oz shot.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

All I can say is "FEEL THE POWER!!!" I love my Rem Super Mag with Winch Xtended Range artillery shells. They rock...
Old 04-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Totemkopf

I really don't care what anyone else shoots, it's really a personal preference. There is one thing I liked to bring up. Your better off determining what size shell you use by the ballistics, then by the length of the shell. There are several 3" shells that have a higher fps then thier 3-1/2" counterparts and the difference between the shot is only an 1/8oz.I'd rather have the extra 100fps in my 3' shell, then the extra 1/8 oz shot.

Totem,according to Fed., the12ga-2-3/4" Prem. Mag-Shok (lead) w/Flite Control H.V. has more Muzzle Vel.1315fps using 4,5,6's...... than the 3" or 3-1/2"

Quick Reply: Why such a controversy over 3 1/2" shells

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.