Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 3" vs. 3 1/2" comparison >

3" vs. 3 1/2" comparison

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

3" vs. 3 1/2" comparison

Old 03-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 3" vs. 3 1/2" comparison

I shoot 3.5 inch shells. Personally I dont think they kick all that bad. Plus why not have the extra pellets. Even if you are only shoot at 25-30 yards, I wanna make sure to have a stone dead kill on them. I know if I absolutly have to I can kill a turkey at 50 yards, but I normally dont shoot until they get at least to 35 yards. JMO. I dont mind others shooting 3 inchmy preferance is just 3.5.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I will shoot a turkey at 50 yards. I shoot 3 1/2 inch hevi shot and I have all the confidence in the world inthem. They do make a difference at longer ranges. Anybody knows at 20 yards it does not matter what you shoot at them, but if that big boy is way out there I know I can still get him with the 3 1/2. It doesn't matter what you shoot at them just as long as your confident in it and it works.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Spike

Why do I shoot 3 1/2 inch shells? Because they don't make a 4 incher.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: jasuz61

Maybe you should do like I did and buy a 10ga.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Spike

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: jasuz61

[/blockquote]

Maybe you should do like I did and buy a 10ga.

If I buy another 3 1/2 it will be a 10ga. I read an article on the web somewhere about measured recoil (not perceived) and was surprised that turkey loads out of a 3 1/2 12ga produced more ft/lbs of recoil than 3 1/2 loads in a 10ga. According to the article 3 1/2's out of a 12 produced more ft/lbs than some large magnum centerfire rounds. It does pack a little bit of punch when patterning the gun, but I have never noticed it when shooting at a bird.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:06 PM

This is the same arguement as the "magnum rifles vs 30-30" debate. But what I find funny is that I would be willing to bet that many of the guys who badmouth those with 12ga.s bigger than 3"ers themselves have magnum rifles and deerhunt with them. What is the difference? What a man uses is his business and no two situations are the same, doesn't make anyone anymore or any less of a hunter now does it?

I have alot of shotguns (a couple of 1100s, an 11-87, a Montefeltro Super 90, 1300Win, BPS, Stevens, 870 Supermag and my specific turkey gun the 835 Mossberg) and I have been known to carry them all at one time or the other. BUT far and away the gun I carry the most is also the most powerful and largest (the 835). I have killed birds inside of 20yds and over 65yds. Sometimes they AREN'T coming any closer and I don't care who you are, you either take the first good shot you get or you loose out.

Hunting near my home, sure I don't feel as pressured or "under the gun" as I do when I travel. I might "let him go for another day" this weekend as TN opens. But later this monthI will be in MO 4 days the first week and 4 days the second week. Odds are low enough at best ANYTIME you are hunting turkeys so that is why I don't handicap myself with equipment. Up there the woods are very open (mature hardwoods) and the pastures are plentiful (cattle operation) so some long range shooting is sometimes required and the conditions are conducive too successful "high steppin" shootin.

Calling a man a fool or less of a hunter for using technology too his advantage flies in the face of "modern man". By such ways of thinking, instead of using 3"ers you anti-3.5"ers should be using stickbows or spears. I'll be the first to admit that inside of 50yds a red dot, 3.5" shells, and lead alternatives like Nitro, Win Ext etc... are NOT needed. My little ol 1300 Featherweight Win with it's 21" barrel and factory xfull tube full of 5s piled up EVERY turkey I ever pulled the trigger on. BUT I knew that rigs limitations and didn't push them much over 45yds and accepted that some days I wasn't going to get that hung up tom at 60yds. But like anything else today, technology has changed all that and today any tom that cleanly presents himself within 70yds is "going for a ride in the truck". Since when did distance become the true measure of a hunter?

As for the 10ga, they are great guns but don't be mislead that they are that much better than a fully loaded and rigged up 3.5"er. Most 10s are shooting 2 1/4oz loads that are the same as the 3.5" 12 and not all that long ago the 10s weren't even that heavily loaded. A couple of weeks ago one of my co-workers carried several shotguns out, all were shooting Nitro ammo with Rhino tubes, red dots and fired from 40yds from a leadsled at 12" circle targets. The BPS 10ga didn't have as high of a pellet count (inside the circle) as did his 935 Mossberg (and the 10 had 2.5oz loads vs the 2.25oz 12). IMHO the 10s made alot of sense before the advent of the 3.5" 12s. Now I personally think a person is just hauling around alot of extra weight when carrying a 10. BUT don't get me wrong, I have NEVER killed a turkey to dead and I won't call you less of a hunter for using a bigger gun. And if I were gonna get a 10ga the ONLY load I would be shooting from it would be some HORRENDOUS 3oz loads that "Nitro Ray" will build you up custom if you so desire. NOW you're crankin the 10 for all she's worth.

I am comfortable with my manhood!!!
RA
Old 03-29-2006, 03:23 PM

I'm not sure why everyone is getting so defensive. I have read every post in this thread and NOBODY had said anything negative about anyone who chooses a 3 1/2" shell. Nobody.

I posted this thread because about every day or 2 the question comes up...which is better, 3 or 3 1/2". I hear all the time, not on here necessarily but around work and my friends, that a 3 1/2" hits harder and is better. The only point to this thread was to show that velocities are the same making the energy the same. Yes, you get 1/2 oz more shot, but each individual shot pellet weight stays the same. You aren't shooting a slug so the weight of the shot charge isn't relevant as it pertains to knockdown power.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone that chooses to shoot a 3 1/2" shell. By all means, be my guest. I don't think it makes you less of a hunter or more of a hunter. But for someone interested in the facts is what this post was intended for.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I'm not sure why everyone is getting so defensive. I have read every post in this thread and NOBODY had said anything negative about anyone who chooses a 3 1/2" shell. Nobody.

I posted this thread because about every day or 2 the question comes up...which is better, 3 or 3 1/2". I hear all the time, not on here necessarily but around work and my friends, that a 3 1/2" hits harder and is better. The only point to this thread was to show that velocities are the same making the energy the same. Yes, you get 1/2 oz more shot, but each individual shot pellet weight stays the same. You aren't shooting a slug so the weight of the shot charge isn't relevant as it pertains to knockdown power.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone that chooses to shoot a 3 1/2" shell. By all means, be my guest. I don't think it makes you less of a hunter or more of a hunter. But for someone interested in the facts is what this post was intended for.
Actually there are a few statements on this thread that I took offense too. Maybe it was the "tone" at which it was written and I read the "grey". If thats the case. I am sorry.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:47 PM

RED:

Guess what?

I have some of those 3oz NITRO's. And I am going to pattern them tomorrow. Have the 4x5x7.5 copper plated lead and straight 5's in kickel plated lead.

Going to be shooting them in a NEF 10ga with a Comp-N-Choke XXX
Old 03-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

StrutnBPS,
The reason I use a 3 1/2 inch is that they don't make a 4 inch.

Quick Reply: 3" vs. 3 1/2" comparison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.