Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Day2 Need help..

Old 03-29-2006, 12:57 AM

Default RE: Day2 Need help..

Where are you located? That is weird b/c the birds here in SC have been gobbling for weeks. This cold snap we are just now coming out of shut them up a little.

I wouldn't give up. You aren't going to kill a turkey in a bass boat. And I promise you, when you call in your first gobbler. You will want to sale the bass boat and buy more turkey hunting stuff.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Jason
I'm from Lakeland, Florida; which is in central Florida. I'm hunting on public property. ..The Green Swamp.I'm a teacher and we are on spring break. There have been 25 turkeys killed so far. A certain amount of hunters were able to start hunting 2 Saturdays ago. I did not get one of those quotas. Possibly all the hunters could of quieted the birds down. I've got a Bass Tournament going on the freshwater site and we are also in the best week of spawning...decisions ,decisions. I'll be back for the turkeys on Thursday.
Chuck7
Old 03-29-2006, 11:45 AM

LoL.

Good luck with it.

I would lay my rod and reels aside ANY day to get in the turkey woods!

The birds may be really call shy. If this is the case try setting up a decoy or two and soft calling every 15-20mins. Scratch the leaves. All of those turkey tracks didn't make themselves.

Are you sure they are turkey tracks and not fish cranes? Not trying to insult your intelligence. I've seen a few people make this mistake.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

LoL.

Good luck with it. Thanks

I would lay my rod and reels aside ANY day to get in the turkey woods!

The birds may be really call shy. If this is the case try setting up a decoy or two {I've had them 3 out my friend.}and soft calling every 15-20mins. Scratch the leaves. All of those turkey tracks didn't make themselves.

Are you sure they are turkey tracks and not fish cranes?{Now I am into birds. Not trying to insult your intelligence. I've seen a few people make this mistake.
Thanks for the reply
C7
Old 03-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

that's really unusual that they aren't gobbling at all.... what i normally do is wait to hear a bird gobble on the roost or right after fly down to call. if i don't here anything generally i do a very soft tree call(soft 3 syllable yelp) to try and get one. it's kind of boring in my opinion to hunt them when they aren't gobbling.... that is until you actually see a bird. you may try moving into an area further from where everyone else is hunting. maybe you can find a bird that hasn't been called to death.

it sounds like you have the right idea about not calling very much. that's the biggest problem i see people having when they first start out.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Chuck,listen for the putts.

PUTT
The putt is a single note, generally associated as an alarm, could be several notes sharp or rapid fashion, usually means they have seen or heard something, means danger.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Reb,
I bet you and I have walked some of this same territory.
I thought about ya as I've seen alot of old wooden deer stands. Tons of hog tracks.
C7
Old 03-29-2006, 07:47 PM

public lands tough to hunt...hunting turkeys on public land's even tougher ...you might want to start your calling earlier than you have been. Start with some soft tree yelping...Rebel Hog had another post with authentic turkey sounds (nice post by the way Rebel)...if you cant find it try this...make the same yelp you would during daylight hours...but with your gloved hand over your mouth and calling into the palm of your hand..call sparingly..remember the birds are waking up too..one or two yelps everyfew minutes (move your gloved hand away from your mouth as you get further into this tree yelping series)...after maybe ten minutes give two or three regular yelps and a short cackle...then (Rebel has it on that post) a fly down cackle..start the cackle looking upwards into the treetops...but as you finish it your head should be looking down..the sound will appear as if it came from a roosted bird that flew down..once you've done that....wait..be patient, get out your box calls and slates, get comfy and ready to work a bird..start your ground calling with 'soft talk'..clucks, purrs, little whitt whitt's should be all you need..every so often you could throw out a yelp but what you want to do is let a tom turkey know the hens on the ground....and she aint going anywhere..if you've positioned yourself right..he'll know exactly where you are and will make his way to you..unless he flies down with a harem..if thats the case, all isnt lost, you may bring him in later.
I am surprised you havent heard dawn gobbling tho..weather might be a factor..not sure
Old 03-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

just because they are not gobblin does not mean you cannot kill em