HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Fall versus Spring turkeys (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/137773-fall-versus-spring-turkeys.html)

antlergetter 03-26-2006 07:58 PM

Fall versus Spring turkeys

Last spring I started hunting a new patch of woods. I turkey hunted in there all season and never heard more than a faint gobbler that I couldnt work even after closing the gap. This Fall there were turkey scattered all over that hollow all most every outing I saw a ton of turkeys or at least turkey sign. I couldnt figure out why the sudden jump in turkey activity. I know the obvious reason would be change in food source. As of last week the area is still loaded with turkeys. With the seasononly a couple of weeks away do you guys think they will stick around this year?

JLmoore1956 03-26-2006 08:24 PM

RE: Fall versus Spring turkeys

well as long as the food source remains, or there is another reason for the hens especially to stay. If the food starts to dry up, they will shift, you just need to watch and see and if they do start to move, see if you can figure where they are going. Good hunting! [8D]

mauser06 03-26-2006 09:25 PM

i got many flocks of turkeys that move during spring fall and winter...one spot is absolutely loaded with turkeys in the spring....from a spot in the bottom of all the draws you can hear 20 birds sounding off on the roostin the spring....fall i did 5 mile loops back there and couldnt find sign of them......late winter they were back.....and they are still there now...another spot they were there right up until the start of fall season....fall season comes and i couldnt find them....them ones didnt come back in the winter either...dont know if there back yet or not...they leave for diffrent food sources that are plentiful in the fall.....grapes are a big food source here in the fall.....id say if they are still there now they will stick around.....but you never can tell...i patterend birds down to the T just to have them change when i decided to hunt them and had no idea i was there...turkeys are pretty strange creatures sometimes......keep an eye on them and check on them without them knowing a few more times before the season.....then go get them!! id get out one day before the sunrise when its going to be nice to find their roost....just listen for them...it shouldnt take calls or anything...they should sound off on their own.....good luck...

hunter9022 03-26-2006 11:05 PM

You have to hit them quick, the birds are getting ready to break up and head to new grounds for strutting, feeding, and nesting. Hit them as quick as you can, otherwise they will be gone.

jepcho 03-27-2006 08:40 AM

I'd say there is a good chance they will be there. I'd get out there and find out. Now if you hunt there a good amount and there isn't any birds there, you might wanna go someplace else. But if they were there last week, I'd give it a try on opening day. Good luck!

bwhunter501 03-27-2006 02:49 PM

There is pros and cons for both for spring i like calling alot more then in the fall where as in the fall they are all flocked up and easier to locate in my opinoin. Plus i think they move alot more in the spring but then again that could just be me.

old longbeards 03-27-2006 05:43 PM

the birds i hunt tend to have two different season patterns...spring/summer and fall/winter...it might not vary too far from each other...but i do know on one farm i hunt they travel from one end of the property in their transition to the other....where they were this past fall and late winter (forage and survive)....they wont be this spring and summer (breed and hatch eggs)..not sure why?!..my guess is your seeing that transition.