Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Federal Heavyweight vs. Hevi Shot >

Federal Heavyweight vs. Hevi Shot

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Federal Heavyweight vs. Hevi Shot

Old 03-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Federal Heavyweight vs. Hevi Shot

Has anyone compared Federal's Heavyweight shells with the Flight Control Wad with Remington Hevi Shot or Hevi-13? With what type of gun,choke tube and tube constiction?

Bill
Old 03-24-2006, 07:49 AM

Default RE: Federal Heavyweight vs. Hevi Shot

You experience may vary.

Hevi -13 likes alot of choke. Think as tight as lead and a bit tighter. Rem hevishot and the fedreal HW tend to like it a bit more open. Also for the most part the Federal HW does better in nonported chokes. But you never know. The Win Ext. Range shoots well in the same choke as lead.

If you can get the Fed. HW to pattern it'll give you the best downrange energy as it's quite a bit heavier than the other options. The new HW 7 shot loads should be killer as they retain the same energy as #5 plus a bit extra. That's alot of shot!

Old 03-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

This may not mean a whole lot but from the hunters I have talked with they are not very happy with Federal HW. I have not tried them, mainly because of what I have heard. Anyway I'm happy with the Rem. Hevi shot magnum loads.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:26 AM

I like "anecdotal evidence". It proves so little!!!

Compared to Superstrutter's hunting buddy anecdotal reports is my experience. Last year I shot three toms at various ranges (25-37 yards)with Federal 3 1/2" #6 Heavyweight with Flite Control wad. All three went down instantly, "no flop"!!! That, to me, is impressive. I've shot a lot of turkeys, and most of them wind up flopping for some time after they have been shot. To have all three birds crumple in a heap and just lay there tells me I nailed them dead solid perfect, which means the pellet penetration, with its about 1.5 (or greater, can't remember) times the weight of lead mass per pellet, was greater and resulted in a more humane death for the turkey, more nerve damage, more spinal column penetration. Until I have a contrary experience, I'm sticking with Federal Heavyweight.

As for Remington's HeviShot, I tried that a few years ago, and was really disgusted that the buffer leaked into and all over my vest. I don't know if they've done anything to seal the shell/crimp, but I thought that was pretty crappy, especially for shells that cost $2.50 each. AND, I didn't really experience a 4 to 5 times the price of leadimprovement in pattern or knockdown power, so, all in all, I thought the Remington HeviShot was a pretty poor purchase.

Same deal goes with Nitro shells. Any of their custom loads, the duplexes, etc, get pretty expensive, up to six times the cost of a 3 1/2" 2 oz. #6 lead, and, in return, you really get not a muchbetter shell, certainly not six times as good. I really like the duplex/triplex concept, and their shells don't leak buffer all over, but I thought they were WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for what little improvement they offered over a lead shell.

I think the Federal HeavyWeight shell IS that much better than a lead shell, is worth the extra cost, and worth the much higher-than-lead price because it makes for "no-flop" kills!!

So much for anecdotal evidence about which/what shell is better than the other!!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Spike

I don't want to start anything here and I may not know what the hell I am talking about but to say that one shell is better than another because the turkeys that were killed didn't "flop" after the shot to me is a little silly. I have always thought that "the flop" occurred randomly regardless of how hard you hit them. I have destroyed turkeys heads at 15 yards and they still flopped.

Anyway, I have never tried the Federals for one simple reason. The Remington heavy shot kicks butt out of my gun. Now let me say that I think that you need to try both for yourself and determine which one works best out of your gun/choke.

P.S.
I so have to agree that the buffer thing from the Remington HS is a little annoying.[:@]
Old 03-24-2006, 08:01 PM

SpurIA,

Great to hear the Rem Hevishot is working for you. Just thought I'd mention that you may want to stock up as Rem is no longer making these shells and is currently selling off of existing stock. Hevishot has severed their partnership with Remington and will be doing their own stuff. Next year there likely won't be much Rem. Heviaround in stores.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Borch

SpurIA,

Great to hear the Rem Hevishot is working for you. Just thought I'd mention that you may want to stock up as Rem is no longer making these shells and is currently selling off of existing stock. Hevishot has severed their partnership with Remington and will be doing their own stuff. Next year there likely won't be much Rem. Heviaround in stores.
Thats just what I was about to write myself. Here are some things i've gathered so far this year from reading A LOT of turkey hunting forums on the internet.

From what I have been reading on many forums is that the new HEVI -13 isn't living up to the old Hevi-13 from last year. One of the Hevi-shot representatives even made a post on the NWTF web site appologizing to everyone and letting them know that they were working on finding a solution to the problems.

Also from what I have been reading is that the Winchester XR's are tearing up the turkey hunting forums. They are sold out just about everywhere. It seems that they are doing very well and are getting as close to the NITRO patterns as people are getting with a factory loaded shell.

The Federal HW seems to be about 50/50 with people so far. Some are getting good results with ported chokes, which you aren't supposed to use. And some are getting poor results with a nonported choke, which you are supposed to use. I would LOVE to try the Federal HW 7's in a 10ga. load.

As for the Remington Hevi-shot. I tried some last year and didn't like it at all. I tried it in three different guns of mine and neither patterned any better than lead. I killed a bird with it, but wasn't impressed with the "killing power" everyone talks about either. I didn't see any difference than lead.

Right now, I am waiting on this cold snap to end so I can pattern my 10ga. with some NITRO 3oz 4x5x7.5 copper plated lead and Nitro 3oz #5 nickle plated lead that I bought. I think they should do pretty good through the Comp-N-Choke XXX that I have on it.

Our season starts April 1st. So I need it to warm up in a hurry or I will be patterning in about 60 degree weather.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

i finally made the switch to the new hevi shot loads last year...bought a undertaker hevishot tube for my 870.....and a box of rem high velocity 3 inch 12ga hevi shot 6s....shot very well....but the CHOKE made my diffrence...my lead and copper plated loads shot almost as well....im not buying a new box this spring....ill wait till after the season when they are trying to give it away for 10 bucks a box....and ill buy them out lol........i got a few shells left.....i dont need to reshot...ill be good to go....

strutinbps.....patterning in 60 degree weather!?!?! thats COLD?? right now its about 20 outside! lol.....this next week will be in the low 50s for the highs...thats WARM! lol...although i should say it must be nice.....i like the winter!....good luck patterning....hope it warms up....if it doesnt dont forget the sunscreen,sun glasses and t shirt..maybe shorts and sandals!!!! lol.....just kidding with you...im ready for winter to end...but its funny to hear someone say it needs to warm up its only 60!
Old 03-25-2006, 01:13 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

strutinbps.....patterning in 60 degree weather!?!?! thats COLD?? right now its about 20 outside! lol.....this next week will be in the low 50s for the highs...thats WARM! lol...although i should say it must be nice.....i like the winter!....good luck patterning....hope it warms up....if it doesnt dont forget the sunscreen,sun glasses and t shirt..maybe shorts and sandals!!!! lol.....just kidding with you...im ready for winter to end...but its funny to hear someone say it needs to warm up its only 60!
It was getting up to mid and high 70's until this week. I checked weather.com and it shows that by next thursday its supposed to be back up around 75+. I will get out and pattern then.

We didn't have a winter this year. I think it only frosted a few times. It really really sucked. Our seasons are getting so mixed up. Global warming is catching up on us faster than everyone thinks.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

I would ahve to agree with STRUTBPS aon this topic. I want to make the switch to the Rhino/nitro combo, but if I can shoot Winchester XR or the new supreme elite and get the close to the same results, than that is what I will shoot. 2 bucks a shell verses 6 bucks a shell. No contest to me. About the turkey flopping thing, I shot a bird last spring at 52 yards and it flopped, then last fall I shot one at 17 yards and it flopped just the same. I think it has more to do with the birds nerves that the actual loads.

Quick Reply: Federal Heavyweight vs. Hevi Shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.