HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   locator call (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/137386-locator-call.html)

QTompkins2005 03-23-2006 08:02 AM

locator call

I just the other day picked up an owl call for locating turkeys, but from what I am reading on here is that this doesn't work.. at all... should I take this call back?

RayC 03-23-2006 08:29 AM

RE: locator call

They can work,maybe not all the time or under any circumstances, but they do work. I just use my own voice to owl hoot and don't overdo it at all, onceI get a response I stop so it will work the next day (so they don't get USED to it). One spring I wasn't hearing anything and let out a couple hoots only to be answered by another owl LOL. We talked back and forth a bit and eventually got a gobbler to sound off (ended up the real owl was right near me in a tree).

Criggster 03-23-2006 09:02 AM

The only way to find out if it works in your neck of the woods is to try it! I also use my mouth to owl hoot, but have the best luck with a crow call.

Hunter06FlKy 03-23-2006 01:20 PM

i've never used an owl call and if i do it will probably be with my voice. i have tried a crow call but it doesn't seem to work for my turkeys. a nice flydown cackle seems to work though in the morning;)

brb6687 03-23-2006 04:35 PM

I recall the time 2 years ago that I was on a ridge top in the Ouachita Mountains at the Chinquapin walk in area.

As the day was breaking, i listened ofr a gobbler to sound off. The small birds and woods critters were beginning to wake up and the rising anticipation of hearing a big gobbler sound off had me vibrating inside.

Oops! There he goes, down in the valley. No problem as he will work his way up the ridge after he flies down. He is fired up pretty good and gobbling about once a minute when I hear it... HOOTY-HOOT HOOTY-HOOT, Gobbleobble obble obble! Holy crap! why is that guy hooting at a turkey that is sounding off on his own. I just lean back as I an almost tell exactly what is going to happen.

Hoot, gobble... hoot,gobble... hoot ... hoot....hoot..., nothing. This guy had just hooted a gobbler right into shutting up for the rest of the morning. He took a gobbler that was vocal enough to course on his own gobbling and spooked him into shutting up by making him gobble every 20 or 30 yds that he moved on this bird.

This scenario will be played out all over the country this spring and it is a shame. Locator call have their place and have used them successfully. They are,however, best used in moderation. As long as a gobbler is hollering on his own, he does notneed your help. learn to course tha sound of a gobbler and use locator call more sparingly and I bet you will see your success rate go way up!

I use natural voice for both owl and crow. I ahve hunted areas that one would not work and not the other. You can also try coyote,hawk,peacock,pileated woodpecker and many others.

Brad Besancon

wacker 03-25-2006 05:17 AM

I used to think that owl calls didn't work very good in my area.Since I have switched to a canister type of call my success at roosting turkeys in the evening has skyrocketed.Roosting in the evening has made for more productive early morning hunts.

HoytShooter88 03-25-2006 05:43 AM

I use the Palmer Hoot tube and have had good luck with it...

jepcho 03-25-2006 08:36 AM

I wont go hunting without my owl call. It works great in the morning and also works very well in the afternoon. Keep your call and use it.

one on one 03-25-2006 08:47 AM

FOR MY AREA, THE OWL CALL IS THE BEST AT DAYLIGHT, AFTER ABOUT 30MINS, I'LL SWITCH TO THE CROW CALL,BUT AT FIRST LITE, THE OWL CALL IS THE BEST BY FAR, GIVE IT A TRY,

old longbeards 03-25-2006 09:24 AM

the owl hoot locator call does in fact work...but just like one on one said....it works best at first light....once the real crows start sounding off in the morning...thats when i switch to that call...i might even switch back to the owl hoot in the late afternoon...when i think they're close to their roost site