Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bad hunters....

Old 03-24-2006, 08:27 AM

Default RE: Bad hunters....

If I may be aloud to put my two cents....(just got a raise! He he he Little joke there),askyourselves this.......did our ancestors and forefathers rely upon a televised show, (wasn't around back then.......i mean 100+ years ago), or did the Native Americans go out and buy the "latest and greatest" hunting gadget on the market? NO.......they were BORN hunters. If you wanted to eat, you hunted. I understand that it is a bit different in the times we live, but in a sense it isn't. We, as legalistic hunters and conservastionist owe it to ourselves.......noone else, to practice this sport the way our forefathers did; with respect, dignity and with the utmost respect for the animal we hunt, hoping for the ultimate goal.....meat on the table to feed our families. Don't get me wrong...I have my share of hunting videos..........some are informative and educational.........others are just what they are intended for.....entertainment and marketing. Just keep in mind........If you didn't learn anything from it.......It is for some type of direct profit, meaning they either got you buy buying the video itself and/or, they are promoting the "latest and greatest" hunting gadget. In any sense.....we all need to enjoy our great tradition and pass it along.........Hunting.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

lone wolf....the sport of hunting is much different from our forefathers.

They would hunt for one reason...to get something to eat. Today's hunter is just for sport. Even if you enjoy eating the game you getthere's not a need to hunt.

As for our forefathers treating animals with more respect....I believe it was them who nearly wiped out all the game animals due to market hunting and few game laws.

I think hunters today have done more to help the animals we hunt than the past generations. We hunt for sport and they hunted for money and food. So in the end I think we are very much different in the reasons we hunt. That doesn't make one side better or worse than the other ...just different.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:38 PM

I agree...With today's conveniences, the modern hunter enjoys an experience that is similar to what our forefathers enjoyed only as children. The fact that we don't have to hunt to eat means we can enjoy the anticipation and execution of the hunt itself. There are many gadgets and gimmicks pushed on the modern hunter. The trick is to find a good mix where you can enjoy the conveniences that modern technology can provide while still challenging yourself and experiencing a challenging hunt. For example, I may frown upon using a dome blind or baiting turkeys (just an example here not trying to start and argument) but I sure as heck am going to use a shotgun or compound bow as opposed to making my own bow and arrows or something to that effect.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: levelgrape

I was watching a video from the archives of K & H Spring VI. Any who one of the hunts on there was Hale and some other guy DRIVING around an area they hoped out of the truck walk maybe 20yards from the truck and setup for maybe 5-10min and walked back to the truck with a BIG gobbler...how real is that come on.
My 1st gobbler from the time I left the truck til I was back at truck was 10 minutes. I walked up a hillside, cut on a slate call he gobbled about 200 yards away . I sat down and made 1 more set of yelps and he was standing 30 yards away. That was the last easy 1