Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Locator Call

Old 03-20-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Locator Call

Ive been out hunting the past 5 days. Ive always used just your regular old crow call and owl call to locate toms... but for some reason they werent working at all. The place that i was hunting has no hunting pressure at all, so that couldnt be a factor. Is there anyting else that yall know of that could help. thanks fellas
Old 03-20-2006, 07:58 PM

Default RE: Locator Call

i have this old call that sounds like a bluejay...cant tell ya how long i've had it...or who makes it...but it seems to get a shock gobble when nothing else does...
Old 03-20-2006, 08:03 PM
TDE
Spike

A buddy and I have hunted in Southeastern MN for a number of years and we were recently discussing how neither of us have never gotten a gobble backfrom either a crow or an owl call.I have had success with a gobbler call though.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:33 AM

Try using a duck or goose call. Also I have heard of people using a peacock call...
Old 03-21-2006, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

coyote howl
Old 03-21-2006, 07:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Posted

Try using a duck or goose call. Also I have heard of people using a peacock call...
I bought a Crow and a Peacock call for this season we shall see how well it works. It sounds pretty good to me. Primos sells it as a triple shock call coyote, peacock and something else but all I can get to sound even the slightest realism is the peacock.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

where are you from?? could just be they arent "hot" yet.....seems that only "hot" birds will shock gobble......and the ones that sound off easily during the day are usually your best bet to hunt...atleast thats what i found for MY area......your area may be diffrent....but around here if you dont get them to come off the roost that means you spooked them or they had hens....then its time to sit and wait for them to come back without hens later or run and gun and shock one to give up his location....sometimes they will shock once.....but i like to get them to gobble a couple time...to make sure they are hot birds.....and to figure out what way hes heading so i can get infront of him..i could go out right now and blow a crow call all day and i doubt i get one to respond...they just arent too hot yet up here....its 25 degrees!..sure i bet they gobble a little bit already but the action still isnt near peaking yet....but im going to scout/fish......all i ever use is a crow call....but ive heard them gobble to geese.....owls...coyotes...peacock calls(actually works well) and even a spring thunder storm had birds going NUTS one day....that was probably the best.....thunder.....it was 3 or 4 in the after noon and they were going NUTS every time it thundered that day...good luck
Old 03-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heards multiple gobble to a variety of sounds and they respond very readily to real crows cawing in areas I hunt. However, no one in our group has ever had even one response from a crow call we used. Maybe the crow calls we make aren't close enough to the real thing, but I didn't think they were so picky.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:16 PM

Im hunting in south Georgia and the low country of South Carolina. I was wondering if they would hit a peacock call since there arent any around here?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: BYRD250

Im hunting in south Georgia and the low country of South Carolina. I was wondering if they would hit a peacock call since there arent any around here?

Iwould in your case of all they would something new and shocking to the turkey...I paid 4.99 for mine I would give it a try and see, not really loosing anything...

Quick Reply: Locator Call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.