Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Run and gun or sit patient? >

Run and gun or sit patient?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Run and gun or sit patient?

Old 03-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Run and gun or sit patient?

what is your style? i have always been taught to be very patient if you know birds are in the area. don't keep moving around, chasing birds, but rather hold tight and stick to your plan. It has always worked for me, but admittedly, i am no expert. I do seem to consistently get a bird on opening day.

interestingly, I could not get a bird to leave his strut zone the other day, so i was forced to get up and go after him. I was able to cut through the woods and get on him nicely, but that is an unusual strategy for me. many folks i know, can't sit still to save their life. they run and gun the whole time. some are successful, most are not.

what's your style and opinion on the two?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Run and gun or sit patient?

I myself do both. It all depends on the situtation.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:46 PM

I have never done well at running and gunning...
I tend to like to sit...but if the situation dicates otherwise I will be on the move.
Go with your gut, do you scouting, and you will know the answer.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

i do both.....depends on the situation.....but i keep finding that if i would sat still longer i would tagged birds.....athough we all know the theory of them "losing their hens" from the morning and coming back later.....i have a hard time buying it.......and why sit and wait when you dont know for sure something will come? and why not find a hot active bird instead of sitting there getting raped by misquitos?? but i find alot of times thats true.....a few times i got up and spooked birds that came in silent.....other times ill run and gun...within a couple hours theres a brid gobbling from the SAME exzact spot i left...but sometimes you can wait all day and they wont come...my goal this season is to get better at waiting them out..
Old 03-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i must admit....im lazy. i like to sit and wait.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:12 PM

I like the run and gun method but have also had success sitting still so I think Either would work in a given situation
Old 03-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Usually I sit and wait. last year i was walkin through the woods and we happened to walk up underneath birds, so we sat. scored at 615 that morning, the following week, sat for a good hour, and birds werent coming, so we went to them. scored that day too. I love the rush of a hunt, so as long as thier are birds, ill do what it takes.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:03 PM
JW
Super Moderator

As what Arro said!

it depends - on new ground - Rin N gun

Got a bird patterened and know where he will be and sorta when he will show up I sit

JW
Old 03-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

I do both if i know the area i will sit and wait at known strutting areasfeeding areas,dusting areas, and loafing areas if i have them patterned i will wait them out if i am on small private parcels i will wait them out usually i will wait them out later in the year as they become more wary when i hunted easterns more i would do trhe patient approach for the most part now that i hunt merriams almost exclusivley i will run and gun allot looking for birds especially when i have plenty of room to roam and also if i do not know the area well remmember run and gun but also scout for good areas to sit and be patient i guess i enjoy both i just decide on the situation
Old 03-20-2006, 07:38 PM

it depends on the situation for me. i like to sit, but it i know that i can cut off a gobbler without being busted, then ill go after him. alot of it also depends on where you are hunting too.

Quick Reply: Run and gun or sit patient?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.