Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Run and gun or sit patient? >

Run and gun or sit patient?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Run and gun or sit patient?

Old 03-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Run and gun or sit patient?

I like to sit tight, but have done some run and gun too! Depends on the situation.[8D]
Old 03-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Dev

Like everyone else for me it depends on the situation. I guide several people throughout the season and they (of course) want to see and hear some action. Thats when I usually run and gun. We birds get pressured and get quiet I do a lot of stalking. When its me I usually sit and wait. Last year I patterned a bird while hunting him. Took three different people to hunt him and no one could sit still long enough. Finally I went after him and sat for four hours watching him strut and gobble. I wouldn't call b/c when I did earlier in the week he'd turn and walk away. So I sat and watched him for four hours. He finally came into range and I hammered him. Biggest bird to date: 27lbs 1 3/8 spurs 11 1/2 beard. Sit still.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:54 PM

i do both...but the early part of the season i'll sit...the birds havent had the heavy hunting pressure yet...they'll come to my calls...but once the toms get lockjaw...and i do get one to gobble...i'm on a dead run...[8D]
Old 03-20-2006, 08:09 PM
TDE
Spike

I always start my day by sitting near where birds are roosting and don't move until 9:30am. Then Iwalk very slowly along woodslines and calling about every 10-20 minutes. When one calls back I set up and wait.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Run-n-gun for merriams,but generally sit tight on easterns as I usually don't have the amount of acreage to run around on and chase easterns as i do when I hunt for merriams.Also,Merriams have a tendencies to cover more ground then easterns do in a days time.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:59 AM

The running and gunning style hasnt worked to well for me the last few years. Im going to try to wait it out this year and be patient.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:31 PM

I'll be running and gunning (atleast the first day)next week in FL. I'll be patiently sitting back home in NC a couple weeks.

If the birds are quiet and I believe there are some in the area, I sit. If they are vocal,I tend to move on them more.

Hal
Old 03-21-2006, 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

I myself do both. It all depends on the situtation.
Ditto.

When hunting small tracts I usually sit more. When I have large expanses of land I run and gun.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

I myself do both. It all depends on the situtation.
ditto. there are times when both should be used. it all depends on how hot the bird is and what type of terrain and undergrowth you're dealing with. sometimes if there's a good bit of sticks and such on the ground you have to stay put or you're garaunteed to scare them.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

remember to do what you have CONFIDENCE in this only comes with trial and error over time try to learn every time you go out

Quick Reply: Run and gun or sit patient?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.