Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

TEAM FOUR

Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: TEAM FOUR

I'm sure you will Twicebarrel!
How big was the jake?

Old 04-29-2006, 07:15 PM

BOY, you guys have been busy while I was gone. Congratulations to all of you on some nice birds.
I've been at the farm hunting since the 24th. Came home today to take care of a few things and will be going back in a few days. First day....nothing. Second day I had two nice toms on the other side of the corn field, but couldn't get them to come over to my side. Third day my husband came up to the farm so I took him to one of my favorite spots........lots of gobbling but no one showed up. Fourth day he went with me to one of my blinds. We had two hen come within 17 yards......can't shoot them......Lord knows I wanted to. Hoyt in hand!!! Calling on the cell to see if hens were legal yet, didn't think so, but had to ask. It was pretty hilarious. Took the video camera, so got the hens running around at least.
Fifth day I helped burn CRP ground (felt guilty hunting all the time while my husband does the farm chores) No internet at the farm, so will check in when I get back home.
Good luck to all of you and be safe.
Diann
Old 04-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

MK-M-GOBL's West Virginia 2006 gobblers stats
Turkey's Weight: 20lbs. 8oz.
(Use the table below to convert 1/16th of an inch into decmal for the entries below.)
Spur length Left: 1.1250in. Right: 1.0625 in.
Beard length 8.6875in.

Your score is 20.5 + 11.25 + 10.625 + 17.375 = 59.75

On April 25 this gobbler was thumped at 6:45am

Old 04-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't had a chance to enter my turkey yet but I got one on opening day here - Saturday. 20 1/2 lbs, 9 1/2" beard, 3/4" spur, and 7/8" spur. Thought I'd let you know. I'll get it entered in soon. I'll be back out tomorrow to see what else I can get into.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great birds guys!
Any stories?
Old 05-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Had trouble logging back onso here it is

On the first morning of WV I heard a lot of gobbling but not on the ridge I was hunting. Seemed like all the birds talking were across from me or behind me on other ridge tops. I did finally get one to gobble on my hillside but he was across the hollow and just too far away, and with my hunting time running out fast, I never got to pursue him. That evening I went to a hollow that always hosted a good few gobblers and sat on top of the ridge to roost one. We heard nothing! Not just in that hollow but anywhere. The birds just weren't gobbling in the evening like they have in the past.

In the morning I decided I was going to crank up the 4 wheeler and head back over to that hollow and give it a try. Nothing like a 15 minute early morning ride to wake you up! Got to the ridge around 5:15 am and set off into the hollow to my favorite flat and got settled in. No decoy! Just wanted to wait and see what was going on before I planned on doing anything. Well, just as 6 o'clock rolled around, the first gobble of the morning came from about 200 yards out in front of me. I listened for the first 5 minutes and didn't hear any hens with him so I started throwing a few tree yelps to him. GOBBBBBLE! GOBBBBBLE! A big smile came across my face under my half mask seeing he knew I was there and it wouldn't be long before he worked his way around the hollow to me. Around 6:15 I did a fly down crackle along with real wing flap and it set him off into another series of gobblers from roost.

Seemed like just seconds after doing that I heard him fly down and he was working his way into the head of the hollow! Not what I was waiting to hear. Next thing I know he was working his way back up to his roosting spot on the same flat I was on but still 200 yards away from me. He gobbled at every call I flew at him but just didn't want to come to me. Then I heard my worst nightmare! A hen, and she was coming from around the hollow on my right and was working her way straight to him! It wasn't long before I saw her about 75 just below me so I gave her the finger along with some small arm waving and she turned and got out of the hollow just as fast as she entered it Now I was set to work this guy one on one without any distractions, so I thought. I got him to gobble again and decided he wasn't coming to me so I had to make a move. All I needed was one more gobble from him so I can pin his exact location and I was on the move.

No sooner than I got up and started to make my move I bounced 2 deer that ran only 30 yards towards the gobbler and started snorting! That's the second worst thing I needed to hear while trying to work this gobble! I kept on with my game plan hoping the deer would run up and over the hill but they didn't. They stayed just 30 yards in front of me running 10 yards at a time still snorting like crazy. After moving about 125 yards closer to where he was strutting and gobbling, I sat down and called a few times. Nothing! those "BLANKIN BLANK" deer scared off my turkey. Now, I know I would never do it but I was so mad at these deer, I thought the hell with the turkey hunting! I'm going to kill every deer I see within a half a mile of that hollow! That's how mad I was. After not hearing him anymore I decided it was over and wanted to walk out to the point I last heard him and try calling or waiting to see if he came back. I got there and sat down facing down the hollow thinking that's the way he went and gave a few clucks looking for a response from below. Well I got one but it wasn't from down below! He was just over a small knoll on the field's edge over my left shoulder! I spun around as if I was hit with bolt of electricity and had my gun pointing right where I heard him gobble! A few more soft clucks with a yelp and GOBBBBBLE! He let one fly again. I knew just by that last gobble he was less than 25 yards and I was going to see him any second pop over the knoll and my heart was a thumping pretty hard! Then I saw it, the "BLANKIN" deer I spooked out of that hollow! Coming back into the woods less than 30 yards from me. I keep my cool and struck with the soft calling and he gobbled again! This time away from the tree line I was expecting to see him crest. After the deer got past me, I decided to make a move to another oak tree just 10 yards closer to the tree line. I made the move OK and took a peek around it into the field and there he was.

He was facing away from me so I soft called a few more times and he turned and let loose a few gobbles right towards me. I just sank back around the tree and sat down and started scratching at the leaves with a few more soft calls. That really fired him up! He busted out about 4 or 5 gobblers in row and would have gobbled more! If I didn't thump him in the head with a 3.5" Nitro 4X5X7 at 20 yards A done deal by 6:45 am

Old 05-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great story! Sounds like a hot spot for gobblers & deer!
Great bird. Nice work!
Old 05-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

[align=center]
Well I thumped my NH turkey this morning by 5:45 am I'll post up the story on it as soon as I get the time. My 1 year old son's giving me a hard time and the Direct TV guy is here also giving me a hard time.

Stats for my NH bird: 21lb 8 - 3/4" beard and 2" beard 7/8"right spur and 1" for the left spur
Your score is 21 + 8.75 + 10 + 21.5 = 61.25
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Here's a few photos my wife just took before she left for work. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Old 05-05-2006, 07:17 PM

i got mine.....one more tag to go think the score was 42...5inch beard...12lbs....1inch spurs

Old 05-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good job guys.
I won't be able to get back out until this Thursday. Went out Sat and had 2 nice long beards out in front of me... but they just wouldn't come in close enough for a shot in the field. Then a dirty hen busted me! I'm gonna go get right back in there Thursday am

Quick Reply: TEAM FOUR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.