Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Team #3's Official Roost >

Team #3's Official Roost

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Team #3's Official Roost

Old 04-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Team #3's Official Roost

The turkeys where I hunt are call shy.
I think that is what is going on.
They make no sound at all.
Except when the go to roost.
The toms spit and drun but don't gobble.
I heard 2 at one spot but it was so thick and the left following hens.
And another spot there was 1 but he was across rail road tracks.
Big ditchs on bothe sides of tracks.
And wouldn't come across I was on public land.
And he was on privite land.
The rail road went between.

So my 6 million dollar question is.
Does this sound like call shy turkeys ?
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd,
How do you go about calling call shy turkeys ?

Thank You

One more thing

huntersof the round table
This is fron deeg1502's post.
To me it sounds real cool for a team name.

[blockquote]And since he got the first turkey
and put us in the lead.
I think he should be,
able to pick our team name.

[/blockquote]
Hunters Of The Round Table sounds real good

But to me he has the honers of picking our team name.

What do you all think ?

Thank You

Old 04-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

OOOOOOO K

How does this look ?

Old 04-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Just checkin ill be huntin pa here good luck to you all
Old 04-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Team #3

I went scouting Sunday morning & I saw a nich big tom in full strut with 3 hen's.

I took my binocular's out for a good look at him & saw that he hada nice thick rope down to the ground.
Didn't see his spur's but i'm sure he's gotta be a good one to go after.

My hunt start's 4/17/06 thru the 23rdI just hope he's still out there .

Old 04-03-2006, 06:05 PM

jrbsr,
it sounds like you've encountered the mysterious "henned up gobbler!" I'll give you a run down on past situations I've encountered in my past 19 years of turkey hunting. This past weekend I went scouting with a good friend from wellston, ohio. Well, we both went you sunday morning and heard many gobbles, maybe 15 in every direction. After flydown, every singler gobbler shut up except for maybe 3 or 4 birds. Now, the logic to this explanation is at this point in the season most birds are still flocked up. Meaning their still in their winter flocks. Now to make things simpler, these birds are already surrounded by many hens. This almost makes turkey hunting difficult. When you said that all you hear is "spittin' n drummin" well this pretty much sums up my explanation. The gobbler has hens present and really doesn't have a need to gobble. Next time, try owl hooting, crow calling, blowing a pileated woodpecker call, or if your area permits blow a coyote howler. This will sometimes shock a turkey into gobbling. This past weekend, we went to a WMA and tried to call in any birds that would respond to our calls. Well, around 9:00 am we saw a couple birds strutting ina field, so we slipped in and tried many different calls. Mainly some soft yelps, purrs, and clucks, you know the basics. Well after 30 minutes of nothing happening we tried some locator calls. Now once I blew a pileated woodpecker call, almost instantaneously he gobbled. This is just natural instincts for him to respond. Once he gobbled we slipped in as close as we possibly could and then tried calling to him. After I gave him some soft yelps followed by some excited, he gobbled and then I heard the dominant hen reply as well. Once I got in a calling battle with the hen, it was all over. She came in to check things out, and guess who followed...the big dog! My conclusion to this situation is I personally think that when I was calling from 80 yards the hen really didn't care about who I was, but once I was in her general area (within 50 yards) she didn't like it and came to investigate. Once you grasp a hens attention and there's a tom with her, you can almost predict the outcome. Just make sure when you try this maneuver, you know exactly where the flock is. If the gobbler gobbles, then try to get as close as you can without busting the flock.

Now with the problem with the gobbler across the rail road tracks...there's really not much you can do. If you have such and obstacle, which in your case you do, just try to pound him with calls. Let him know that you're ready to breed and then shut up and wait. Sometimes when there's a gobbler that is responding exceptionally well to your calls (triple gobbles and so forth) and there's an obstacle in between you and him, try excited yelps followed by excited cutts, and throw in some cackles. Do this for a good 3 - 5 minutes and then shut up. When I use this method, I get right on the property line (without the turkey being able to see me) and start calling like I listed below, but I do this while I'm walking in the opposite direction from the property line, hence your property. Make sure before you do this that he's really responding to your calls (double and triple gobbles) and then give him all of the sexiest calls you can produce as your walking away from him. To him, it sounds like she doesn't want him, or she's with another tom he'll possilbly come in to investigate. Once you get 50 - 60 yards from where you started calling, sit down and wait for 30 minutes. You must remember that PATIENCE is a virture to turkey hunting.

I hope this information helps. All that I've listed above has worked on a numerous of occasions during my many excursions in the wonderful months of turkey season.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:13 PM

9th tine,
I'm stationed in Dayton, Ohio, so if you're down during the month of April, look me up and I'll try to see if I can't get you on a bird. I hunt in Wellston, Ohio, but a good friend of mine, whom I met through the NWTF, knows everybody in two counties (vinton, Jackson) and we can pretty much hunt any where we want too. Just give me a heads up and I'll see what I can do. I'm military, so time is hard to come by, especially when I'm a full time student as well. Good luck this season and hope everyone gets the "big one!"

Old 04-04-2006, 12:51 PM

Just checkin' in on the good ole' boys...any hunting plans for this weekend? Hope everyone has a blessed week! GOOD LUCK!

David Ellis
Old 04-05-2006, 06:08 PM

Just checking back in. It snowed hear in northeast ohio most of the today. Our season opens april 24. Is Rob our captain. Good luck team 3
Old 04-05-2006, 07:38 PM

Buckslayer1,
I'm located in Dayton and was wondering if you've been out before sunrise this year? If so, how well are the turks gobbling? I went out last weekend and they were tearing it up. There's going to be a big youth hunt sponsored by NWTF the opening weekend and a couple of my buds and myselfwent scouting and heard more gobbles than I could count. Some are still in winter flocks, but with this heat wave heading our way will surley break them up. Good luck this year and be safe!

David Ellis
Old 04-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Team 3, i had a great 4 day hunt in Georgia. Here is the results:

#1- 14lbs, 9.5" beard, 3/4" and 7/8" spurs
#2- 17lbs, 10.5" beard, 7/8" and 1" spurs

I just got back home tonight so i will post some pics and a story when i get a chance.

Quick Reply: Team #3's Official Roost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.