Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Team 5!!!

Old 03-31-2006, 06:00 PM

Default RE: Team 5!!!

I cant belive some of you guys get 4-5 tags (lucky)we get 2 in ma. one for spring tom and ether sex in the fall, went to check one area i go to today all i seen were old scracthes, suppose to check out this land this lady owns, my friends saidshe has 100acre and nobody hunts there has fields and hardwoods theres got to be some birds there i hope.good luck guys and ladies
Old 03-31-2006, 08:24 PM

hopin to get to use one my other tags or 2 in tomorrow .
Old 04-01-2006, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

I'm hunting in Alabama. We can take 1 per day with 5 per year limit. I've gotten 2 for the team so far. I missed a nice one opening day (Mar 15th), had a brain fart and left a gold SHINEY fish hook on the bill of my cap. He putted............I shot over him..........I think he jumped the trigger. I'll be back out Monday, Tuesday, Fri, Sat, and maybe Sunday next week. They have just now started gobbling here in central 'Bama. Good luck to everyone else.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

To bad he jumped the shot. Good luck this week!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:46 AM

well guys i called in an absolute MONSTER of a bird this morning. had season been in i would have gotten us alot of points. had him at 10 yards so i got a good look at him. he has to be at least 25 pounds and had the biggest beard i've ever seen. it was really thick and about 12-13" long. didnt see his spurs but he's definately an old timer. im going to leave him alone until season so hopefully he'll stick around that long. our season doesnt come in for 4 more weeks yet [:@]
Old 04-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with that bird Jhalfhill. Quit callin to him or you just might find out he's alot tougher when the season opens than he is now! I just got out scouting for the first time today, checked out 3 spots. Was able to locate a couple birds, had them shock gobbling to my crow call. Unfortunately, they were on public land, the private spot I hit today I heard nada. Well, there's almost a whole month before the season starts, but it was sure nice to hear some gobbling. I have to firm up some more spots here in RI and in CT in the next week or 2. Glad to hear we have a few birds down, congrats to those that have scored already!
Old 04-02-2006, 05:56 PM

What is everyones call of choice (type/brand)? Do you have one standby call that you go to when the goin' gets tough?

I'm still trying to find that "one" call. I have a slate "ole yellar" that I like but I'm still looking for something unique. I got a gobbler this past fall and had a wingbone call made from him, but darned if I can get that thing to sound right!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:45 PM

ever hear of Preston Pittman turkey calls? they're mouth calls that are a little harder to use then most brands, but once u get used to them with some practice they work like no other. the ones i use are the 'lightning' and 'black diamond'. especially the lightning. get your hands on one and give ita try.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:35 PM

i use calls from mad calls my all time fave is highball mouth call i have called in lots of birds with it . but have great luck with my new heavy metal pot call this season if i just quit shootin innocent trees i have only 1 bird so far this season .
Old 04-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

MN- Like scmt, I like those M.A.D. calls too. My all time favorite is called the Shippwreck - Don Shipp won the NWTF title with his homejob, so he patented and mass-produced the design. I just like it b/c the frame's made with a non-plastic material that doesn't slide around in my mouth when I'm purring with it. They seem to fit my mouth pretty well, too - no trimming required. It purrs and cuts nice.

For friction calls, I like the aluminum ones best. I think mine's a quaker boy, but I prefer to use a MAD rosewood striker with a small dowel diameter.

JH - glad to hear you've got the drop on a longbeard. We'll be sure to get out one day this spring. I'll keep you posted. I was out in Greene County scouting last week. Found a nice shed and saw a couple longbeards. It won't be long, and you'll be after them in WV.

Quick Reply: Team 5!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.