Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Official Team ThunderStrut (10) thread. >

Official Team ThunderStrut (10) thread.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Official Team ThunderStrut (10) thread.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team ThunderStrut (10) thread.

I hunted Monday and today .
Monday I had 3 toms and 10 or so hens come in , but never had a shot .
There was always another bird infront or behind the tom I was looking at .

Today I got a lone tom to 50 or 60 yds before he started strutting , he would not come any closer and finely walked away .

Wen and Thur. I have to be at work by 7 so I can't hunt .
I hope Fri will be the day to bag my first muzzel loader tom

Both today and yesterday a flock walked alongthe old fence to get to the feild .
So I may fence sit Fri

Johnch
Old 04-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well you guys doing any good?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

getting one to gobble at me jsut can never go cuz of the weather [:'(]
Old 04-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whats going on fellas, yall loose your drive or what?
Old 04-27-2006, 10:14 PM

Was out in the rain all day for my last day in SC.
Not one gobble
Old 04-28-2006, 05:22 PM

Well fellers.....I finally get a weekend off work, so I'll be at it first thing Saturday morning. The weather forecast don't look good, though. But I've got my Double Bull and by gosh, that's what they make rain gear for!! I'm going out and only a tornado or hail is gonna stop me!!
Old 04-29-2006, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Atta boy!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:12 AM

Let us know Mo. I have been out a few days last week and the gobbling has really went downhill. 1 morning I heard 1 gobble next morning only 2. It has been raining alot here and I think that might have something to do with it. I am going out the next clear day we have.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:00 PM

Well, it was like........raining....big time, but I donned my rain gear, set up the ole Double Bull and stuck it out. Heard a few gobbles in the rain, but not much. I sat for a couple hours, but I heard the birds in their normal field across the creek, which I can't hunt. Headed in for some breakfast, and about half way to the house I heard a shot across the creek. I drove over and talked to the dude ( I know him ) and come to find out, it wasn't him that shot. Neighboring property. Thankfully, this kid likes to talk and well......I let him. He's seen birds in this field every day this week, but he's spooked them every time. Good for me, bad for him. They won't use the field if they keep getting spooked off. Anyway, long story short, I hope he keeps up the good work!

I was out with my bow in the early morning, but after breakfast I decided to do some spot and stalk, and walk around. It was seriously raining so I had a few pastures I wanted to check out. So I grabbed the shottie and headed out. One pasture has a pond right next to the woods and I use the dam as cover to enter the field. I belly crawled to the top and was greeted by a bright red head! Well, he's about 40-45 yards out and through some trash. The angle I had while lying on the ground wouldn't allow me to shoulder the gun properly either. I had a modified choke in the gun as I hadn't planned on using it, so I didn't get a turkey choke for it. (By the way, I picked up a Gobbler Stopper for it this afternoon. )

I really felt like my chances of missing were pretty high, so I decided not to take the shot. I just don't want to educate the bird. He'll be back tomorrow, but not if I shoot and miss. He saw just enough that we was a tad nervous, and despite my most seductive, very soft yelps on my mouth caller, he just wasn't budging. I watched as he walked the other way. It was close fellers. That was a really, really nice bird. I estimate him certainly over 25 pounds w/ around an 11" beard. I'll be back at it in the morning.

I jumped several hens on nest, so it seems that most of them are nested up already. Salt, that may be why they aren't gobbling as much. Season is a week later than normal this year. But, the good news is the birds are mostly alone which always makes them easier to work.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:33 PM

So what do you all think I should do. If they aren't gobbling they are kinda hard to find. And the birds that I found keep getting disturbed by other hunters.

Quick Reply: Official Team ThunderStrut (10) thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.