HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   LBL HUNTING PRESSURE? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/136733-lbl-hunting-pressure.html)

Rupster 03-17-2006 06:45 AM

LBL HUNTING PRESSURE?

Can anyone advise as to how the hunting pressure usually is in the Land Between the Lakes area? I have never hunted in Tn. or Ky. and have been thinking of making the trip. Have no idea where to start, so thought this might be my first attempt. Thanks for any info..

kevin1 03-17-2006 08:43 AM

RE: LBL HUNTING PRESSURE?

I haven't hunted there personally , but I asked about it a couple of years ago when I was deer hunting down in Cadiz , Ky. and they said that area is usually packed with turkey hunters .

mouthcaller 03-17-2006 12:05 PM

I've hunted LBL nearly every year since 1988.

Pressure has been tremendous in years past, when there weren't many birds on private land in Tennessee. As stocking efforts drastically improved the overall flock statewidethe pressure on LBL has subsided a bit.

Some years the quota hunts result in greater numbers of hunters. The non-quota hunts are after the quota hunts and are sometimes less crowded. If you are able to hunt during the week it is a big plus.

LBL is a great place. Thousands of undisturbed acres of timber and fields, no houses. Just some roads and turkey hunters. The turkeys are difficult to call. When you take one from LBL you can be proud of it.

Hunter06FlKy 03-17-2006 12:50 PM

much of my family lives very close to lbl and i've spent a ton of time there. my family used to live in lbl until it was flooded. there are an absolute ton of turkeys there but there are probably even more hunters. i've never had the opportunity to hunt there though. there is game but there will be competition.

turk2di 03-19-2006 06:52 AM

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

I've hunted LBL nearly every year since 1988.

Pressure has been tremendous in years past, when there weren't many birds on private land in Tennessee. As stocking efforts drastically improved the overall flock statewidethe pressure on LBL has subsided a bit.

Some years the quota hunts result in greater numbers of hunters. The non-quota hunts are after the quota hunts and are sometimes less crowded. If you are able to hunt during the week it is a big plus.

LBL is a great place. Thousands of undisturbed acres of timber and fields, no houses. Just some roads and turkey hunters. The turkeys are difficult to call. When you take one from LBL you can be proud of it.

I pretty much echo what he said. Birds there r as tuff as any in the nation. Lots of predators to deal with. One nasty habit a gobbler past 2 has is gobbling from the roost begrudgingly, shuttin up. BUT he's still in the tree. U think he has flown down, but nooooooooooooo! Birds are also adept @ using terrain roll for periscoping your calling location. Be prepared for deer ticks by da millions, bobcats & yotes. Quota hunts preceed the two week public hunt, which begin April 17th, 2006. And it's true, u kill a 3+ yr old bird there, u can pat yourself on the back!

Rupster 03-20-2006 06:16 AM

I want to thank everyone for all of the replies. Sounds like great country, but with the pressure could make for a bad hunt. But you never know, at least if I would make a trip, I can plan to hunt during the week. Maybe like Tue.-Fri., possibly have a little less pressure.
I guess for the most part, y'all that live in Tn. hunt private property if possible?
I have even thought about moving to Tn. for the outdoors & great hunting, but if it's hard to locate land to hunt, I'm not sure what to do.
Thanks again for the info..