Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag thumbhole turkey series >

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag thumbhole turkey series

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag thumbhole turkey series

Old 03-14-2006, 02:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag thumbhole turkey series

20 incher is fine according to RHINO.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:52 PM

I purchased a 835 ultra-mag mossberg thumbhole and im here to tell ya i love this thing im using the mad choke tube .690 with federal #5 flightcontrol wads 3 1/2inchand i pat. great at 50 yards i also put over and under mounts on it with a scope and im getting great results from this setup.Not that i would shoot at one that far but its just good to know that my gun is capable of shooting at that distance.I have always shot remington but this year i seen the mossberg came out with the thumbhole version and for the price i gave it a shot and im so glad i did.I hope this helped anyone looking to buy a turkey gun because if you buy a 835 thumbhole version i dont think you will go wrong in anyway for the price.It does kick like a mule but it will bring the meat home at the end of the day.I cant wait for season so i can see what the toms think about it[:-]

HOPE TO SEE YA IN THE TURKEY WOODS
Old 03-15-2006, 01:49 PM

I just saw at Gander Mountain that Mossberg with the thumbhole, and I have never shot one, but it seems to me that it would be really uncomfortable! The actual thumbhole grip is great and all, but on the barrel side, inside the thumbhole part, they put a big hole with a nut in it. Again, never shot the gun, but it seems to me that it would hurt with that hole comming back and wacking you every time with the force of a turkey load. Other than that 1 thing, looks like a fantastic gun!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:14 PM

Im telling ya i see what your saying but i have shot 40 3 1/2 inch loads through my 835 w/thumb and i have just seen one thing that it does to you that i dont like but can stand. It kicks like a mad dog and i mean really lets you know that you are holding on to a mule kicking your shoulder off....lol im shooting a mad max choke tube .690 with flightcontrol feds and it patterns great at 50 yards which is just fine for me i dont even shoot at turkeys that far unless i dont put him down on the first shot and get a second chance which is not often.But anyway i love my 835 i wouldnt give it for nothing from what ive seen so far.Not saying it is the best just the best turkey gun i have ever had

HOPE TO SEE YA IN THE TURKEY WOODS
Old 03-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess my 835 is different.No thumb hole and the sights are ajustable.Came with two barrels.Can't wait to try it.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:20 PM

I got a scope on mine now and its doing good at 40yds and not bad at 50. Hunting Nut why did you switch out your X-Factor choke? Mine is ok....but there is a big change every 10yds after 30yds.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

my friends got one and its a nice gun i like them pretty good myself, i on the other hand have a rem 870 supermag and ya i know all bout the kick lol. i have though about buying an 835 also just for the heck of it to use on occasions. good luck getting it sighted in.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:28 PM

My 935 turkey kicked badly, too, so I put a LimbSaver recoil pad on it. MUCH better (though not "perfect").

Also, I disagree that a short barrel has patterning problems. Mine is so amazing that I use it for turkeys with a Rhino choke tube and for pheasants, ducks and geese with the tube it came with. There is plenty of knockdown power, and the short barrel is fast handling, important for upland AND for when the turkey surprises by coming close to you from a different direction in tight quarters. Even though it is a short barrel, I can "reach out and touch 'em" at surprising distance with the stock choke, especially pheasants, but ducks and geese as well. (40 yards + !!!).

Old 03-17-2006, 01:30 PM

By the way, I put a Bushnell Holoscope on it for turkeys, and take it off in the fall.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:09 PM

Finally got mine dialed in pretty good. Im puttin anywhere from 45-50 pellets in head and neck at 30yds......15 give or take from 40.......and 7 to 10 at 50yds.......I did 50 just for grins I like em much closer than that. I just cant quit shootin this gun.........it is sweeeeeeet!!!!!

Quick Reply: Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag thumbhole turkey series

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.