Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Transporting decoys, fold or carry in big mesh bag? >

Transporting decoys, fold or carry in big mesh bag?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Transporting decoys, fold or carry in big mesh bag?

Old 03-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Transporting decoys, fold or carry in big mesh bag?

I unfolded mine out of the box and stuffed them with paper so they would hold their shape. I am afraid if I roll them back up, they might resume their former creases, etc. and not puff out in full like they should.

Wouldn't it be better to carry a big mesh bag and leave them full size while transporting? They carry them at basspro and cabela's. I wouldn't leave the paper in there, of course, but figure on having them as close as possible to being the way they are intended to be set up.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:40 PM

Default RE: Transporting decoys, fold or carry in big mesh bag?

I've never worried about fighting the folds afield. I did stuff my early Carrylite/Flambeaus over the non-turkey hunting rest of the year to help them keep their shape, but the Delta hen and the softer foam jake I use now keep their shape pretty good. The Delta is small enough that folds pop out and the foam jake doesn't seem to get folds.
I don't think you have to have a perfect, fully expanded turkey decoy anyway, as I think a tom will come to pretty much anything that reasonably resembles a hen or jake, from what I've seen. If this really hangs you up, have you considered getting one of those expanding stakes that Lindeman makes??
Old 03-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Midwest catalog for decoy bags made by AW.
I'd suggest getting their "super magnum" model, this will hold most of the larger decoys on the market. I prefer carrying mine in this bag VS jamming them into your vest!! Comes with a shoulder sling and pockets to store the stakes, etc.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

i put mine in my backpack...i fold them up.
it doesn't make a difference to a ol tom...he's got a one track mind.
you can also buy the spikes that fold out like an umbrella so you don't have to worry.

here's a link:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0003297223893a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3Aha sJS=+&QueryText=turkey+decoy+accessories&_ DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.22&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mod e+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=turkey+decoy+accessor ies&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp
Old 03-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Spike

I keep one hen decoy folded up in my vest and the rest in a mesh sack. don't waste your maoney at bass pro shop. i buy my mesh bag at the dollar tree or dollar store. they hold up just as well and you save a lot of money. I also have some of the installation tubing we use on the gun rest on the deer stands to keep the shape if they don't unfold right. I found the paper is noisie. i just cut hem about a foot long and wedge them in the degoy from one side to the other and it helps them form back. I bought a black sack and a green sack to carry them in....just fyi.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Spike

just to state the obvious for maybe beginners reading the post...never walk through the woods with the heads poking out the vest or bag or how ever you trnsport them in and out the woods.....God forbid anyone was to get accidently shot because someone saw your decoy and not your full camo self. be safe everyone.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

I carry mine in my turkey vest. Ive never had any trouble carrying them this way.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:53 PM

i've pretty much given up on having a perfectly puffed out decoy. i fold them and carry them in my vest. put them out and try to make them look good and the toms don't seem to care. in the offseason, i do unfold them and set them in a warm location and it seems to reduce permanent fold seams
Old 03-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I used a single hen, I kept it folded up in my vest. Now I use one hen, one jake. I keep them strapped to my HS Strut seat, generally with some orange over their heads.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont use decoys as of yet...so i dont know....i dont think folding them hurts....dont know anyone that carrys them in a bag full size....i do know one way NOT to carry them...have to mention it...maybe this guy and his son and daughter didnt wanna wrinkle their decoys....i had a particular bosstom that would show up EVERY morning like clockwork......some days hed come on the bench where i was set up....or once in a while him and his harem of hens would go above me on a trail..the bench was cut into the hillside a loooooong time ago for logging and the trail is DIRECTLY above me to my left...im about 15yds away...can see up to the edge..sitting there waiting for him to sound off as did chatting with his hens.....next thing i know a head pops up on the trail....man thats a small hen??? whoa another small hen?? wierd looking....whoa...WIERD looking redhead beside that hen!...knew better...stood up....DAD DAUGHTER AND SON.....2 kids carrying decoys.....on stakes...and they were short and dad was to their right so i couldnt see any of them.....just make out turkey heads....all in full camo...marching up the trail....no orange.....decoys on stakes....coulda been badddd news if i was trigger happy......dont carry them like that!! maybe they didnt wanna wrinkle their decoys!!

Quick Reply: Transporting decoys, fold or carry in big mesh bag?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.