Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey tips

Old 03-08-2006, 09:41 AM

Default RE: Turkey tips

Don't shoot until you absolutely have to...like if he looks like he's gettin ready to leave. It is always a more enjoyable experience. You rarely get a chance to be so close to wild animals, enjoy it while you can. Also, the big boy may not have shown up yet and a responsible hunter would take the 3 year old rather than a 1 or 2 if possible.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:15 AM

on rainy and foggy days..hunt on the edge of woods overlooking fields and meadows..even though its a good spot anytime..it prooves better on rainy and foggy days....always keep in mind that when you are turkey hunting, you are reversing nature..you are making the tom come to the hen instead of the hen going to the tom...but if the tom stops or gets hened up and will not come to you even if you have been silent for a while..you can go to him..but do not approach directly from behind him..circle out and come back up to him cutting him off.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:03 PM

Fullback 24

Is that a model, or did she put her makup un just to go hunting? lol
Old 03-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

load shells into your gun!!!!(no i don't know about this from experience)

make sure your shoulder or back isn't against the tree your sitting against when you shoot. you may not feel it immediately but a few minutes later you will(this i do know from experience)
Old 03-08-2006, 03:03 PM

Don't chase after and call at a gobbler that's headed away from you gobbling. You just about have to get in front ofhim to have a solid chance.Hoof it and circle around, as posted before. Scratching leaves to simulate hens scratchingis something I like to do that works wonders. Keep you head down on the barrel.
WM
Old 03-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Also, the big boy may not have shown up yet and a responsible hunter would take the 3 year old rather than a 1 or 2 if possible.

Posted... I don't mean to start a cotroversy here, but reading through several posts, this type of statement is really getting on my nerves. If the bird, deer, hog, etc is what you're after, the shot is safe, etc take the bird you want. I personally have never shot a jake, but I've never seen one while hunting either. Here's my tip...........enjoy the spring and all the sight's and sounds of it. If the bird outsmarts you, learn from it and learn to laugh about it. Leave the ego at home or work and take in God's beautiful creation. Sorry for the ranting.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:52 PM

This isnt really a 'tip'...not one that gets the boss gobbler all the time anyway..more like an idea you can try.
I use dekes alot, two hens with a jake, they're designed to be simple standing dekes but with a little ingenuity i've made a shorter stake for one hen and set her lower in the grass with the jake directly behind the laying hen (right behind the hen).
Any dominant tom (or any adult bird for that matter) who busts out into the set-up will see the adolescent bird trying to breed the hen...that old boy wont like that, or the young gobbler, he'll try to run him off.
Thats when the safety comes off and i nestle the true-glo dots on his double chin...lol
Old 03-09-2006, 02:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Gobbling Buck

Also, the big boy may not have shown up yet and a responsible hunter would take the 3 year old rather than a 1 or 2 if possible.

Posted... I don't mean to start a cotroversy here, but reading through several posts, this type of statement is really getting on my nerves. If the bird, deer, hog, etc is what you're after, the shot is safe, etc take the bird you want. I personally have never shot a jake, but I've never seen one while hunting either. Here's my tip...........enjoy the spring and all the sight's and sounds of it. If the bird outsmarts you, learn from it and learn to laugh about it. Leave the ego at home or work and take in God's beautiful creation. Sorry for the ranting.
No problem, everyone has their own opinion. What I meant was: From a conservation standpoint, you want to take the oldest bird since he will not live much longer anyway. This way you are having a less detrimental effect on the population. Also, you can enjoythe hunt a little more by waiting as long as possible...or as you put it "take in God's beautiful creation." because you rarely get a chance to just watch a turkey from that close.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can't kill 'em if you aren't in the woods!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

hunt as much as possible and don't call too much....be careful when using jake decoys on public land.

Quick Reply: Turkey tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.