HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   New Box call maker... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/134117-new-box-call-maker.html)

maytom 02-23-2006 07:51 AM

New Box call maker...

I just wanted everyone to know that we have a new Box call maker amoungst us, his name is Jerry Zebro, and goes by the user name "Gobbler Addict" here on this forum. His call company goes by the name of "Foggy Holler Custom calls". I was very fortunate to receive one of his box calls the other day and after playing with it for a short while, I can highly recommend his calls!! His calls are made very similar to those made by the late Neil Cost. I'll let Jerry giveus all a further introduction of himself andhis new call business. Here are somepic's of the box call that he madepersonally for me. It's very well made and it sounds awesome, I might add.

Jerry, best of luck in your new call business.........Paul/maytom
;)

Rob/PA Bowyer 02-23-2006 08:12 AM

RE: New Box call maker...

Excellent, welcome Jerry and thanks Maytom for the introduction...they look very nice and I take your recommendation on their sound.....looking forward to coming across one myself.

Turkey Addict 02-23-2006 11:25 AM

Thanks maytom,

Glad to hear you like your call! Makes me feel real proud. Yea its me Old TurkeyAddict:). Building box calls has been a burning desire of mine for quite a few years now. Last fall I invested in the book set and video by the late Neil Cost, In order to learn to do the best I could at building them the way he did. I wish I could afford to own one of Neil's Box Calls. Well Last December I Built my first one. It might not be the best, But I know I could call up a Gobbler with it. To date I have built a dozen, and got a few more in the works, near compleation. Its truly a labor of love. My goal forthis springis to build a box call for each of my freinds and fellow hunters, who have shared time in the spring woods with me. kind of a way of saying thanks to them. In the future I plan to sell a few. I borrowed The Name Foggy Holler from my Departed friend Mike (Gobbcaller). It was a name he picked for a Turkey hunting web site we were working on together at one time. Mike and I both talked about Building boxes together someday.Hard to think of a better way to spend those cold winter months before springtime. It wont be long now.

Jerry

Mr. Longbeard 02-23-2006 03:24 PM

Nice looking call... Nice tribute to your friend also... I'm sure he will be with you in the turkey woods this spring...

Good luck with thenew calls

maytom 02-25-2006 06:35 PM

I'm quite shocked that all Jerry got was three posts? With all the guys who visit this forum daily, you'd think that most could say a kind word on his work and wish the guy the best in his new venture!!:eek:

longbeardbuster 02-26-2006 12:40 AM

That is an excellent looking box call. If it sounds as good as it looks
I am sure it wouldcall up a nice gobbler. Is there a web site or something
so I can get more information about possibly ordering one of those for
myself?

Tree climber 02-26-2006 05:39 AM

nice looking call; looks like the sides are from Fla. red cedar.I make a few scratch box calls and have made a couple box calls like yours(not quite as nice looking) I make them from cedar also , along with other woods.

congrats. on the new venture and it's a nice thing to remember your friend like that.

huntnma 02-26-2006 06:59 AM

welcome :D

Turkey Addict 02-26-2006 08:35 AM

Hey Guys/Gals,

I am going to get a web site going in in the future. I Thank Maytom for promoting me here. I don't want to step over fourm rules by advertising on the fourm. I can Build them out of about any wood combo you can think of. Yellow Poplar, Black Walnut, Red Cedar, Butternut,Mahogany, Cherry, Purple Heart, Osage orange, I have even tried Birch and Big tooth aspen with good success. I have found that you can build a good sounding box out of about any thing.There are a few critical areas in a box call that once you can make right every time... the box will work good. Different woods yeild different sounds.If the critical areas are right the box will talk turkey almost regardless of what wood it is made from. On another note, Two boxes of the same wood combo will not quite sound the same. To meit is all fascinating. I am not yet ready to take orders so to speak. Not that I won't take orders,I have a threeorders right now. Butas I siad beforemy goalfor this spring is to build a call foreach one of my friends. Idon't want to bite off more than I can chew. I am using one of my friends shop to buildcalls in, and I am building my own shop here at home right now. My Goal is to place in next years Midwest Convention's competition, after that I plan to sell some.Building Turkey calls isvery rewarding, It can be frustrating at times too. The first time you chalk up a lid and attach it tothe box it is like hearingyour childs first words. I can't wait to call up a gobbler with one of my own calls this spring. If any one else has ever considered building there own calls I would have to say go for it! You won't know untill you try.. in fact that applies toany thing you aspire to in life. Thanks for all the kind words and support.

Jerry

ultimag 02-26-2006 08:57 AM

good luck in the future if all goes well you can support your turkey hunting addiction let us know when that web site is up and running