Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Best replacement pad for Mossberg 835? >

Best replacement pad for Mossberg 835?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best replacement pad for Mossberg 835?

Old 02-17-2006, 10:20 AM

Default Best replacement pad for Mossberg 835?

I have an old Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag (woodland camo). Can any of you give me a good recommendation on a replacement pad? I'd prefer to replace the one that's on the gun vs. a slip-over. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best replacement pad for Mossberg 835?

I would check out the Sims Vibration Labs pads, I hear they are really good.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simms makes some good stuff. My friend has a Mossberg and bought one, he needed to get some kind ofadapter plate to match the holes on the pad up with the ones on the stock. If you get a Simms and the pad doesn't line up, call them and ask about an adapter.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:18 AM

Thanks guys. I have been looking at the Simms Limbsaver pad; sure enough, not an easy fit for my old Mossberg 835. It's only 4 5/8 heel to toe and 1 5/8 at the widest point, so they recommend Model number 10002, and that I'll have to adjust for the holes. Does anyone know if the screws go all the way through these pads, or is there a bottom piece that attaches to the gun and the "pad" snaps onto that piece? If the screws go all the way through the pad, I'll need to re-do the holes on the gun, as I understand you shouldn't cut into or trim these pads (air-chambers); otherwise I'd just drill two new holes through the pad iteself.

Anybody installed a Limbsaver pad out there? Do the screws go all the way through the pad? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Simms is good, but have you contacted Mossberg and see if they have replacements for it?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

I put a Simms on mine and it lined up perfect no trimming or holes to drill the pad has a hard plastic base that stops the screws from going all the way through very happy with mine
Old 02-18-2006, 12:11 PM

DB I understand that with a slipover the ugly ol 835 aint gonna win any beauty contests, but it's a hunting tool not a beauty queen. I too have an old 835 that I dug out of the closet after it hadn't been used since buying my 870 Supermag when they came out in the mid 90s. (I was told to dust it off and use it by "Nitro Ray" and man was he ever right, the 870Super got put back in the safe for other game!) I never enjoyed shooting heavy loads from my 835 when it was my only 3.5" gun. I am 6'4" 240#s so the rear stocks (factory synthetic) LOP (length of pull) was just to short for me. Each time I touched off a 3.5" duck or turkey load my thumb was hitting me on the bridge of the nose, I felt like I was being punched in the face. I just learned to live with, but that didn't mean that I had to like it.

Once I got it back out and knew I was going to be putting 2.25oz Nitros through it I was like, something HAS to be done about the recoil and shortness of this gun. I went through almost every Simms pad I had in stock and none of them were simple bolt ons for my old Mossberg. Mossberg changed the stocks design in the late 90s so the pads for those don't fit the old ones (none ported barrels) like the two of us have. I didn't want to have to sand and custom fit a pad either. I simply put a slipover Simms on the gun and PERFECT. I left the factory pad on it and put the slipover over that, that increased my LOP by an inch and two pads really eat up the recoil. (I have a 45mm Red Dot atop the gun so my face is really high above the stock in the first place.) The gun is ugly anyway and I didn't care about the looks of the slipover. I tried the slipover with the factory pad removed and it would work fine, but again I was wanting to increase the LOP anyway.

Try it, I can assure you the turkeys wont give 2schitts anyway!!!
RA
Old 02-18-2006, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I got model #10002 and just drilled new holes in the stock. Worked and fits much better than I thought it might. Haven't shot it yet, but it has to be better tahn the stock Mossberg pad. You helped me out with a question in another post today; thanks again and please let me know what you're putting through you 835 and how well it's patterning.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:10 AM

My favorite pad for rifles and shotguns is a Pachmayer (sp?) 1" Sporting Clays Pad. Its got a littleplastic tip on the heel that prevents the pad from dragging on your clothes when you mount the gun. No white line. Its also smooth sided, no X shaped cells to hold mud.