Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 accu-mag mossberg choke tube? >

accu-mag mossberg choke tube?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

accu-mag mossberg choke tube?

Old 02-15-2006, 06:53 PM

Default accu-mag mossberg choke tube?

I just bought a new mossberg ultra mag 12ga thumb holeturkey gun and it came witha accu-mag choke tube. im wondering what kind of pattern should i expect from this choke tube and what kind of shell should i try?Also are there another choke&shell combo that i should maybe shoot for?Thanks for any info

I CANT WAIT FOR SEASON HERE IN KY[8D]
Old 02-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: accu-mag mossberg choke tube?

My Mossberg shoots federal 3" mag 6 shot extremely well. I use nothing but federals.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an older mossberg 835 but never had the turkey tube. Have been using an Undertaker, however, on several boards I have discussed chokes and I think I am gonna try the turkey tube when i get home from here. Think it might help my pattern, but most have siad they get good patterns with the Mossberg tube! [8D]
Old 02-15-2006, 09:19 PM

The 835 I had patterned very well with 3.5'' Winchester HV loads. To me the Mossberg turkey choke is the best factory turkey choke on the market. Its by far better than my Browning Factory turkey choke. The remington factory is a good one too, but I think the mossberg is the best.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutnBPS

The 835 I had patterned very well with 3.5'' Winchester HV loads. To me the Mossberg turkey choke is the best factory turkey choke on the market. Its by far better than my Browning Factory turkey choke. The remington factory is a good one too, but I think the mossberg is the best.
That is what I am hearing too, pretty good choke. As I say mine didnt come with it, it was a Crown Royal addition or something that i got in 1998 or so, and for under 450.00. Now that I have asked questions on chokes, before I spend more money on after markets, gonna try out the Mossberg tube! [8D]
Old 02-15-2006, 11:59 PM

The Star Dot that I bought for the 835 held a better pattern than the factory, but I still think that the Mossberg Factory turkey choke is the best on the market.

If you are going to try it, try the new Federal Flight control's. They are made for non-ported chokes, it should make one hell of a combo.

I sold the 835 I had, but kept all of the chokes except the factory turkey choke b/c it came with the gun, so I sold it with the gun. I still have all of the other chokes I bought for it though.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am using the Federal Flights, but someone mentioned that they were not made for ported barrels which mine is. I want a Star Dot too, but dont know where to get one. Course hard to find over here.

Now is that ported chokes or port barrels as well?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: JLmoore1956

I am using the Federal Flights, but someone mentioned that they were not made for ported barrels which mine is. I want a Star Dot too, but dont know where to get one. Course hard to find over here.

LoL. Are you the same guy on the NWTF board?

I don't see how the ported barrel would be the same as the ported chokes designed to strip the wad from the shot. For one, the holes don't go all the way around the barrel. I think its ported to help on the recoil.

2nd. the shot/wad still has a few inches to go before it leaves the barrel, so you wouldn't want to strip the wad inside of the barrel.

I am not gun smith, so you may want to ask the guys in the "gun" section. I didn't even spend the night in a holiday inn lastnight.[:@]

Old 02-16-2006, 07:09 PM

Thanks all for reply i shot some of the flightcontrol #5 shot they done good with the factory choke tube outto 40 yards i wasnt blown away with the pattern but it was a kill shot.i have a friend that is going to let me borrow a madd max choke tube he says it works great in his mossberg but i think his has the 28" barrel would that make a difference were mine is 20" barrel?Im going to try some at 20 and 30 yards the next good day we get here its been some nasty weather here lately and i aint going to get out there and freeze to death trying to shot my gun i still have plenty of time to get a good pattern...........LOL

Thanks All And Ill Tell Ya That The New Mossberg 835Thumb Hole Is AReal Gun.I just have to find a good pattern i think im going to have to move my sights a little and the flightcontrol #5 will work great just didnt get the time today to get that far with it ran out of light..LOL THANKS ALL
Old 02-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutnBPS

ORIGINAL: JLmoore1956

LoL. Are you the same guy on the NWTF board?

I don't see how the ported barrel would be the same as the ported chokes designed to strip the wad from the shot. For one, the holes don't go all the way around the barrel. I think its ported to help on the recoil.

2nd. the shot/wad still has a few inches to go before it leaves the barrel, so you wouldn't want to strip the wad inside of the barrel.

I am not gun smith, so you may want to ask the guys in the "gun" section. I didn't even spend the night in a holiday inn lastnight.[:@]

You bettcha.... Der Jagd Meister in the flesh! Probably should have used that name here, but most people know me as Jeff anyway, so now JL! [8D]