Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Will you shoot jakes?

Old 02-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Will you shoot jakes?

It has been 20 years since I killed a jake, to many long beards around to kill the jakes.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: bullshooter
It has been 20 years since I killed a jake, to many long beards around to kill the jakes.
...not where I hunt...

With me its the hunt, not the trophy. But I'm not a deer hunter, and so maybe I don't have a trophy mentality.

One of the most challenging and rewarding turkey hunts ever was a dual with a jake...

Hal
Old 02-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bullshooter

Not me. I hunt weary gobblers
Old 02-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Spike

Yes, first bird I called in myself last year was a jake, it was a lot of fun and I'll never forget it. I don't know if I would do it this year though, time will tell.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man O man o Man O man , What the heck is wrong with you guys ! A turkey is a turkey is a gobbler is a jake , Who Cares ? Has everyones ego taken over your enjoyment of this sport ?

Turkey hunting is a sport of something you have learned to enjoy for the sport not the darn prize at the end of it. If you hunt a season and pass on a number of birds to wait out the biggin and he never shows up , but the last moment a Jake walks in who cares if you walk out of the woods with a short beard over your shoulder. I'll never be at your lane way on your return home to laugh you out of town and either will anyone else here.

So what if your turkey you shot has a 4 inch beard and a little different tail , who cares you still enjoyed the hunt and came home with something that maybe did not 100% made you happy , But you scored !

Get the He!! off your high horses and start playing this game they way its to be played , a way that you want to enjoyed the hunt.

I pass on Tons of jakes , and if at home here , I don't shoot them because I always get a mature bird to come in, But if I'm on the road and the very last resort esclated into shooting a jake , The short beard if Died! end of story. Laugh at me if you want , but I enjoy the sport and my ego is not standing in the way of a little taste ...BT
Old 02-16-2006, 06:24 PM

Jakes..hmm..i try not to shoot em'..but i also have before..and yes my firts bird was a jake..or should i say two..i killed two jakes with a six inch beard in one shot..If u hear a gobbler gobblin..go for him..if u see a jake first..dont shoot, let em' walk..now..later in the season and u have not had any luck..i say go for it..u need to feel your tags at least..its still somthin u can be proud of and it makes a nice dinner!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

During the bowseason for deer, I'll pass on spikes and small crotch horns waiting for something a little bigger, but this has caused me to eat many deer tags in the process.
Back in 1992, I placed a restriction on myself, when spring turkey hunting, to try for a mature gobbler only. And I have kept thatsame restrictionon myself ever since. After waiting all winter for spring to arrive, I don't want to end my turkey season too quickly by taking a jake. Here in NY, I try to average 20 morning hunts during our spring season. I enjoy being in the woods before it comes alive with sound, and get a huge rush when I hear that familiar sound that we all are waiting to hear each morning.Sometime's things work out well and it's a fast hunt, other times I'm there until 12 noon before calling it quits for that day.The feeling one has when hoisting a mature longbeard up by the legs, while admiring the nice beard and spurs is almost a religion-like experience to me!!
One thing that's a fact: I'll never look down on, or criticizeanyone, that decides to harvest a jake bird, that's their decision all the way.
I saveall of my beards and spurs, and as most of you already know, I enjoy displaying them on several of the display pieces that I make.
I hope that nobody thinks I'm on a "high Horse" by posting this, but like I already mentioned, that's just a restriction that I placed apoun myself.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Not any more.

I have been fortunate to take many birds in 25 years of turkey hunting. I don't get a thrill from killing a jake, so I leave them for the next year. In the last few seasons I've enjoyed watching them, many of them gobbling and strutting in front of me, but I don't pull the trigger anymore.

On the other hand, my 10-year old son gets to start hunting with me this year with his new gun and jakes are fair game for him.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:52 AM

In the last five years I have been letting Jakes walk by. I've taken enough turkeys in my time, and i want to see them grow up to be big toms.

Fat-Arrow
Old 02-17-2006, 08:09 AM

In some areas passing on jakes is no big deal..in other areas..you pass one and it may be the last gobbler you see. That's why it's not a big deal when people shoot them or let them walk. It would be a whole different story if you pass up young 2 and 3 yr old gobblers waiting on the trophy big headed mature tom. However in some areas that's not even a big deal..it's all in how pressured the birds are where you hunt.

Quick Reply: Will you shoot jakes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.