Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Is it right to bait for turkeys? >

Is it right to bait for turkeys?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Is it right to bait for turkeys?

Old 02-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it right to bait for turkeys?

Is it okay to feed turkeys corn or wheat as long as it's gone before season opens? In the south many hunters will keep corn in their deer feeders up until 15 days prior to season. As long as all the feed is removed it is perfectly legal. Some of course keep it going through season which is not right. Many of you on this forum hunt up north where there is no baiting even for deer. So do you think this practice is okay as long as you are not illegally hunting turkeys over baited areas? In Texas you can hunt them over corn. I personally would not do that. That takes away the best part of turkey hunting.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is it right to bait for turkeys?

I don't see anything wrong with supplimenting feed for turkeys over the winter etc...but I do see wrong with baiting turkeys strictly for hunting purposes. Here in PA you need to stop and remove all sign of it 30 day prior to the season however by that time in our PA woods, the turkeys do not need supplimented as their natural foods are in abundance.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:14 PM

I agree with Rob. Just takes the sport out of it to hunt over a feed area like that. Although I saw a video floating around about a father and son turkey hunt. Brought a few tears to my eye to watch this father spend time with his son video taping while his son shot at turkeys with his little bow. Never hit any of them but well worth the time spent with your kid and getting them into hunting. Like I said that was about the only instance where I really didn't have a problem with people hunting at a feeder.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

As far as feeding/attracting puposes I see nothing wrong with it,but I would not hunt over corn even if it was legal.That's my personal preference.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:50 PM

I agree with using corn to suppliment feeding in the winter, but to hunt over corn is not "fair chase" by my standards. In Georgia there is a big debate over this, especially for deer hunting. Hunting over bait is not hunting, it's just killing. That's my opinion.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

How many that say not to baiting turkeys, but say yes to deer
Old 02-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Im fair chase all the way. No baiting here just good old fashion hunting.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

How many that say not to baiting turkeys, but say yes to deer
No to both, illegal regardless here in PA.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:58 AM

I'd have to say no to both as well. Now if it's legal, I can't be mad at ya. I just think that it makes us hunters look bad and that is the last thing we need when our sport is being threatened the way it is.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

As long as its b4 the season and all baits removed according to state law. Many hunters do that to help turkeys thru the winter with the added benefit of keeping turks around, escpecially so if the neighboring farm is doing so!

Quick Reply: Is it right to bait for turkeys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.