HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   12 gauge 3.5" or 10 gauge? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/130963-12-gauge-3-5-10-gauge.html)

longbeardbuster 01-29-2006 08:57 PM

12 gauge 3.5" or 10 gauge?

Has anyone tried out both and which patterened the best and
which seemed to kick the worst?

ranchand99 01-29-2006 09:18 PM

RE: 12 gauge 3.5" or 10 gauge?

They are both HOSSES.The best thing to do is get a pachmayer pad if they make one foreither gun.I have shot the 10ga's before,and I have a 12ga 3.5",that I am currently using.They both kick like a mule.My friend had the NEF 10ga,and he put some lead in the stock.It made it heavy,but it knocked alot of the kick out.I would say that the 12ga 3.5",patterns a hair better than the 10's,but there are some manufacturers coming out with new shells,and choke designs for the 10's so we'll see.As of now there are more options as far as chokes/shells for the 12ga.Plus the 10's are heavier to tote around.You can get the same amount of shot from either gun.Up to 2 1/4 oz.I would go with the 12ga 3.5",buteither will do the job.Hope I helped.

longbeardbuster 01-29-2006 09:38 PM

I currently have a Benelli SBE and know what it will do. I have been
wondering about what a 10 gauge is like for a long time. I have
heard that they don't kick quite as hard as a 12 gauge 3.5". Thanks
for the reply ranchhand99.

ranchand99 01-29-2006 09:45 PM

You're welcome!You've got a fine gun.We'll I would say the 12ga 3.5" does kick a little harder,due to being lighter,and forcing the same amount of shot through a smaller barrel.Except for back bored 12ga guns like the 835.But they all kick,that's the price you pay for shooitn a big shell.Glad I could help.

StrutnBPS 01-29-2006 09:56 PM

Welp!

I have been sitting on this fence for a while now. I have a 12ga. 3.5'', but have always wanted a 10ga.

So, I bought one during Christmas. I am going to be using it for turkeys only, so I bought the NEF 10ga. I couldn't see myself paying close to $1,000 for a pump or auto when you rarely get more than one shot at a turkey anyways.

As for the kick of the 10ga. I would say that this is a bunch of BS. It kicks no harder than the 835 I had or my BPS 3.5''. I have the one with the 24'' barrel and its no heavier than my BPS. Its extremly balanced also. I really wish I would have bought one of these guns a long time ago. I love it.

As far as pattern goes, I haven't bought an aftermarket choke and found the right load combo for the 10ga yet. I am waiting to see if Winchester is going to start loading the X-tended Range in 10ga. I emailed them and in my opinion from their response, I think they've already started, they are just waiting for this Spring to release it.

Ranch is right about the ammo and chokes. There are a lot more avalible for the 12ga. than the 10ga. And if you want to "just shoot", well rule the 10ga. out. No one makes low powered shells for them.

Come April 1st. I am going to see what the 10ga. is all bout on the turkeys. I may get more than the 12ga or might not. But I am still happy that I bought a 10ga. just b/c i've always wanted one. And you will never be happy until you get what you truely want.:D

longbeardbuster 01-29-2006 10:12 PM

StrutnBPS, about how much did your NEF 10 cost you? And does
NEF have their own chokes or do they use a different company's
choke? I hope it doesn't kick more than a 835, I used to own one
and although I got it to shoot some pretty good patterns, I got to
where I hated to shoot it because of the kickso I traded it off. Also
is it drilled and tapped for a scope? Thanks for the info.

StrutnBPS 01-29-2006 10:22 PM

It is right at $200.

Yes, they use screw in chokes. It comes with a NEF turkey choke. The gun uses the same thread patterns as the Browning 10ga. So, whatever choke you can buy for the Browning 10ga. will fit the NEF. I will probably buy a Rhino for mine. Not sure if it will be the .685 or .720.

Yes, it is drilled and tapped for a scope, BUT TO ME, it is tapped way too far down the barrel. You would probably be better off with a red dot or holo. I plan on buying a good holo when I get the money. I have talked to plenty of peole who get rail extensions and use regular shot gun scopes though.

As far as recoil goes. I had an 835 with a 24'' barrel and it kicked a little more than my 3.5'' BPS. The NEF 10ga. kicks about the same the 835 I had and about the same as my BPS does with 2 1/4oz of lead being slung out of the barrel.

You can buy an aftermarket recoil pad and change it yourself. Very easy, only two screws. NOTHING fancy about these guns, I guess thats why they are so depandable.

I would recommend one to anyone and can't wait until I get to try mine out this Spring. Anymore questions feel free to ask.

Bobgobble2 01-30-2006 01:01 PM

I've shot 3 1/2 12's out of both A Remington and Mossberg and still would shoot my Ithica mag 10 any day of the week.Heavy gun,semi auto,= alot less recoil out of this particular gun!Its still the gun I shoot in the turkey woods today!I shoot my own handloads with a stock full choke!:)Works for me!!!;)