HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Using Blinds in Scarce Cover (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/130347-using-blinds-scarce-cover.html)

Criggster 01-25-2006 10:12 AM

Using Blinds in Scarce Cover

I found a good buy on a tee-pee style blind a couple weeks ago and decided to get it. It's mainly for taking my niece and nephew deer hunting, butI thought I might as well get some use from it for turkey hunting.

My question is: Do the turkeys seem to notice a blind in scarce cover if it is erected the morning of the hunt? I have been after a smart old tom that hangs around my neighbors cows and scratches the cow pies for corn. He roosts on my sid eof the fence in the edge of the woods and usually land right in the open area. But, the area only has a few oak trees that are spread out and he always has about5-8 hens with him. I thought I may be able to sneak in before sunrise, set up the blind near a tree and wait him out. Any thought or suggestions?

drhntr178 01-25-2006 10:21 AM

RE: Using Blinds in Scarce Cover

I have seen turkeys spook from blinds in the open and in the cover. If possible set up blind well in advance and put natural cover around it, branches, downed trees, or any type of brush. If this field has round bales in it consider using them to your advantage.
If you have to set up the morning of, get their early, put some natural brush around the blind and hope for a calm day, wind seems to cause the blind to move and birds spook if they havent seen it before.

OntElk 01-25-2006 11:06 AM

I have video footage of hens 2 yds away frommy pop up blind feeding. I have used it on some days and others not at all. In other words some days it showed up but was not there regularily. Never had turkeys (that I know) spook from it at all. On more than one occasion I had groups of hens meander by like nothing was wrong at all.

One hunt last year I stuck it out in a field and called three jakes right in to it. It had never been there before. a buddy went out about a week later stuck it in another corner of the feild called in and killed a big tom.

I personally don't think the turkeys look at it and go "hey, that's never been there before????". I think you tend to get complacent in them and maybe give away your movement. On the jake hunt I had me and another guy filming and we were bouncing around trying to get comfortable and the right angles. We were careful not to do that in front of a window but like I say I think you can get complacent.

here's a shot of the first time this blind was ever in this feild. It's right out in the open.

turk2di 01-25-2006 02:03 PM

Turkeys spooking from blinds are a rareity. People have them walk right up against their blinds. Turkeys won't shy from them as deer do. If your camo fits the area, it would help.

jepcho 01-25-2006 02:13 PM

I've set my blinds up in the middle of an open field many times and turkeys will walk right by it every time and pay no attention to it. I have had deer spook at it but never turkeys.

Criggster 01-25-2006 02:22 PM

Thanks for the input. I can't leave the blind out in the field because the cows will surely stomp it to death. I will give it a try this spring and see what happens. This old tom will be ahuge one this spring; I've been after him for two years already. I came close one time during a thunderstorm. I managed to pull him away from his hens, but he hung up 75 yards away in a open pasture. This blind should add a new dimension to my turkey hunting.

jepcho 01-25-2006 02:23 PM

Hopefully it will help you bag him! Good luck and hope to hear you telling us how you shot him in a couple months!;)

RedAllison 01-25-2006 05:11 PM

drh's case is an exception too the rule. He is the only case I have heard of where a bird shied from a blind. I use them ALL the time, open or otherwise. I never brush my Double Bull during turkey season and actually hunt with it smack out in the middle of pastures. Turkeys are just oblivious too their use. It makes it much more comfortable to sit on regular stools/seats off the ground (and out of the chiggers and ticks) and camo isn't even necessary (I recommend covering the windows with shoot through mesh). Hunting with kids or restless adults is a REAL bonus for the blinds as well.

I consider my blind as much an integral part of my turkey equipment as I do my calls or shotgun!
RA

fantail 01-25-2006 05:13 PM

You might have a little trouble with the cows. They tend to stand right in front of my blind and all I can see is cows. It seems like they never get tired of looking at the blind and they always want to stand in the direction I want to shoot. Never found a remedy for the problem and I usually end up leaving early wanting to go eat a hamburger.

Bobgobble2 01-25-2006 11:32 PM

Fantail,... a paintball gun works like a champ...I use one for horses hunting hogs out of my ameristep..its good fun!!!!:D:D