Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Who has to wear glasses now? >

Who has to wear glasses now?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Who has to wear glasses now?

Old 01-23-2006, 04:47 PM

Default RE: Who has to wear glasses now?

ORIGINAL: JW!

The real pain is for close work gotta take dem things off!

I know what you mean, JW! I've been wearin' the specs since I was 18, and that is going on 30 years ago! I've been having the "can't see up close thing" for a couple of years now. Have to take them off to see up close![:@] I need bifocals, just haven't broke down anddone it yet!

I can only remember one time when my glasses fogged at the "moment of truth". I didn't panic too badly though and that old gobbler's beard and spurs are on my wall now!
Old 01-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

I've worn glasses for years, sneaking up on bifocals in the next year or two I suspect.
I've switched to the net type face masks, much less fogging than the cloth type.
I think glasses really hurts my duck hunting but not the turkey hunting.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been struggling with them for years!!! definetly switch to the meshb type face mask... I like the one buy Penn woods... I see that MAD Calls has come out with one also
Old 01-24-2006, 05:34 PM

same here; been using them for past 15 years. am now all the way to trifocals.fog is a big pain in the a$$ durning the spring turkey season.getting hot on the chase and then setting down and cooling off.instant fog.

last year I found something that reall works. you wipe the lens with a cloth and it "will not fog for that day."
it is distributed by Nikon. it is "Fog Eliminator" it comes in a packet with 3 resuable anti-fog indiviually wrapped 6"x7" cloth.

you wipe the lens on both sides for a min or two and they will stay fog free for that hunt (several hrs. 6 to 8).I have used it the past year with great results.it has been a lifesaver for me.
I stumbled on it at a gun shop.I said for $3.00 I couldn't pass it up,man am I glad I didn't.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 49..had glasses @ 6.....used to fog up alot... still will IF...and I mean ...IF I wear a net/mask...
tried the soaps...the sprays.... best thing?
..don't wear a mask. you REALLY don't need it...ESPECIALLY if you wear glasses. Forget the horror stories of shiny rims, and reflected glare from the lenses..all possible, but overblown to sell you stuff. What I DO wear is a hat, pulled a tad lower... with your shotgun/hands right in your face, not enoughs' left to worry about. out of the many gobblers I've not taken, being picked-out was never a factor....pinned down..yes... picked out....nope.
I had a mentor that hunted turkeys before it was popular..back in the 40s-50s-60s....they NEVER wore camo..didn't know what that was, for the most part....noone wore it.....yet they killed. they made mouth calls out of soup can lids and propholactics...watched him make a few...they worked fine,too. Turkeys have surely adapted to human pursuit tactics, but it's the natural predators who keeps them on their toes...
Old 01-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont! I got pretty good eyes, i think anyway.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:55 PM

Hey There maytom

Well I'm 32 pushing 33, and I just got my first pair 3 weeks ago. Im getting near sighted. So I am wondering how its going to be with them out there this spring. I guess as long as they don't fog up it will be nice to see clearly. The other thing that worries me is having birds catch a glare off the lenses and spook.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I been wearing them for years, and still havent figured the trick for fogging, so far they haven't except one time, and we were running to cut them off..... I was using a red dot and I couldnt get the dot on for the fog on the glasses...... i missed, thought I had him but there is a branch that hangs on my wall in his place.

Did two things: 1) got rid of the red dot. I like it, but it told me in that instance with trying to get it on target and close they fogged worse

2) I was using a full face mask to cover my glasses, no slots, and I think that was a big part. I cut slits the next year and I have not had problems since. They will fog a little when I first sit down, but after they reach the temparature and stuff from outside air, never has fogged up on me again.

Also hear they make some stuff to put on glasses now to keep that from happening also.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Problem solved:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/neclfogel.html
Old 01-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the link, Army wont let me open it here in Iraq but be looking some when I get back!

Quick Reply: Who has to wear glasses now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.