Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What's your favorite call? >

What's your favorite call?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What's your favorite call?

Old 01-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What's your favorite call?

I know this question has probably been asked several times, but I'm new to the forum and I love to talk turkey. I use a mouth call about 90% of the time. I like the diamond series by Primos. I would like to experiment on some other mouth calls. Anyother good mouth calls you would suggest? Isometimes start out with a slate and then go mouth. I rarely use a box call unless it's a windy day or they won't respond to anything else.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's your favorite call?

I start the game offusing a "pot" call, either a slate, glass, or a composite finished surface. After getting a response and knowing that the bird is comming in, I then switch to a mouth call.
This comming season I'll betrying out a new Long box call made for me by a good friend. I love to start the game with some sort of a friction call first. You can really getawesome sounds from them!!!

Old 01-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

any type of mouth reed. i like to keep my hands on the trigger and stay motionless when calling.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I too am like Maytom. I start them out, or float call with a friction call, usually a glass pot call called The MOJO by River Valley, it offers me both slate and glass but if I'm alone I'll obviously switch to the mouth call to get them in tight. If I'm calling for someone else and can keep my hands free and clear from sight, I'll keep at em with the glass/friction call and throw in a couple calls from the mouth call. If it's the mouth call they respond to, I'll use it.

You need to take the turkeys temperature with a variety of calls. He might respond better to one call or another but to stay 90% with one call, one might miss out on a lot of opportunities. Perhaps it's the box call that will have them screaming in when the mouth or pot call only temps them....or vise versa....I never rely on one call alone, that's why my turkey vest weighs too much.

As for options on another manuf mouth call, try River Valley Game Calls' mouth calls. They tend to be smaller than most on the market therefore fitting the majority of small pallets amoung us hunters. There is less need to trim them as they use the smaller frames....Of course there are many, many quality mouth calls on the market and if your fluent with a mouth call, you'll get quality sound from all...some you'll like better than others....
Old 01-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

I love Quaker boy mouth calls. I mainly use the pro triple. My favorite slate is a Primos that I bought back in 1985. But I just got a Cody slate call and its awesome.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

I know this question has probably been asked several times, but I'm new to the forum and I love to talk turkey. I use a mouth call about 90% of the time. I like the diamond series by Primos. I would like to experiment on some other mouth calls. Any other good mouth calls you would suggest? I sometimes start out with a slate and then go mouth. I rarely use a box call unless it's a windy day or they won't respond to anything else.

You are right about the question.....box-cutter for me is the first, power crystal the second choice.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Primos Power Crystal to get him fired up and on his way. I'll have a Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen mouth call in my mouth in case I need to do some close in work without using my hands.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

box cutter or push call... we got a nice raspy ones and they go crazy!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best advise I can give on mouth calls is. Don't be affraid to spend some moneyI've tryed all just about every major brand of mouth call... What I like you may not and what you like I may not...Try them all!!!

I've prob spent at least $100 on mouth calls until I found the company I like
Old 01-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Typical Buck

I also like to start with a friction call to feel 'em out. I either start with an old Lohman's box call or one of my own friction calls, either glass over glass or glass over slate. I make sure I take at least 3 or 4 different strikers too. That way, I've got 3 or 4 different friction calls in one pot. Then I usually switch to a Primos stacked frame diaphragm call like the Deadly Doublewhen the bird is headed in.

Quick Reply: What's your favorite call?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.