HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Turkey Decoys (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/128625-turkey-decoys.html)

hunter1089 01-12-2006 12:28 PM

Turkey Decoys

Do turkey decoys really work?

paintbrush 01-12-2006 04:08 PM

RE: Turkey Decoys

I've had instances where they have worked,but I've also had times where the gobbler would hang up out of gun range and wait for the decoy to come to him.For that reason,I don't even bother to use them any more, and have been able to take birds every year with out them.

maineac 01-12-2006 05:07 PM

This is a topic that usually gets pretty active. I have had birds come right to the decoys. I have birds avoid the decoys like the plaque. I have had birds approach cautiously but come close enough to take. A lot depends on how hard an area is hunted (more negative exposure). Time of year (exposure or availability of ready hens, or lack ther of).

I use them when I am calling near open areas, especially when the birds are coming off the roost and tend to pitch into open areas and feed for a awhile. If birds are avoiding decoys I leave them at home. It is a matter of trying different things and adapting to what the birds want (for now).

fshafly2 01-12-2006 05:15 PM

- Sure decoys work - sometimes. IF they worked all the time, everyone would use themALL the time. Decoys are an option I keep available. I've had birds trip over their spurs to get to them, and other birds ignorethem or be wary of them. It's neat to see an adult bird knock the crap out of a jake you have mounting a hen. If you use a bow, the decoy helps more than it hurts...
- just another tool in the bag of tricks...

-fsh

MOTurkeyTamer 01-12-2006 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: hunter1089

Do turkey decoys really work?
Absolutely!!

ultimag 01-12-2006 08:02 PM

I use them, sometimes they work, sometimes they do not I just do not expect them to be a cure all when I set them up I try to have them facing away from where I expect the gobbler to come from yhis seems to help a little eliminating hung up birds anybody else do this?

ranchand99 01-12-2006 08:44 PM

Yes,and no.I have never had a Tom run away from them,but have had them hang up.This is how/when I use them.Early in the season I use 3 hens,and1 jake.In late season I use 1 hen,and 1 jake.I situate 1 of the hens where she is squatting down as if she is going to breed.If the decoy hangs a Tom up I won't use them on that bird again.If it is very thick I don't use them.(He'll likely be in range when he appears anyways).If it is too open I have found that they tend to hang up easier.Unless he is an agressive tom.They work great to distract a Tom if he is receptive to them.

My wife's first bird ran down the road over 100yds,and came into my set up gobbling,strutting,spittin' and drummin'.She begged me to stop him while Hemingled amongst my decoys 25yds away,and whenever I made acluck or yelp on my cody he would gobble,and then double gobble.I decided to stop calling so he would settle down.Finally he realized he was the only one moving.[8D]He popped his head up,and finally my wife shot him.That was very exciting.I wasso happy,andshe made a perfect shot.That bird did everything you would want one to do.

I have also noticed most of the Toms that I have had success with decoys are 2 year olds.I have had a Tom fight my jake decoy.I have had a hen squat in front of my jake,wanting him to breed her.She sat there for over 30 minutes until I ran her off.Talk about hard up![8D]I think they are worth a try.Ultimag I have done the same thing.I usually point them looking around in all directions,but not looking in the directionthe Tom is gobbling,same as you.

The Tom will approach the jake first usually,so put him where you would like to shoot.I would stay away from multiple jakes in your set up.Some Toms won't approach a group of Jakes.But one on one he may.It will take some experimenting,but I think you'll be pleased.

RIStrutStopper 01-12-2006 08:46 PM

Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. I have had birds come in to the dekes on a string. Last year, the jake/hen combo did the trick for me.

maytom 01-12-2006 09:34 PM

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont.
Ditto!!! But needless to say, Iwouldn't leave home without them.

Coyotestalker 01-12-2006 09:48 PM

Yes and no like everyone says. But I have to say, I had to replace mine twice since I have been turkey hunting, because those darm Toms practically gave my decoys permanent air-conditioning.