HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Most gobbles you ever heard??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/128285-most-gobbles-you-ever-heard.html)

Mr. Longbeard 01-09-2006 04:09 PM

Most gobbles you ever heard???

I was turkey hunting last spring and snuck in on this gobbler I roosted the night before... Anyhow he started gobbling and he must of gobbled over 100 times. I just got tired of counting:DI really don't like to call to a gobbler until he hits the ground. Plus all that gobbling attracts every hunter within a 1/2 mile:(So needless to say I was wishing this bird would shut up!!!!

Has anybody ever had anything like that happen to them???

huntnma 01-09-2006 04:25 PM

RE: Most gobbles you ever heard???

i had one bird that i killed gobble every 30 sec or so..it's on dvd now , i watched the hunt the other night, it's amazing how manytimes he gobbled, one day i'll have to count it, lol.......but i have to say 60.... i was like you, praying he would shut up, but i got the bird in the end so it was ok, lol......

knemohunter 01-09-2006 05:56 PM

The most I have ever heard the turkeys gobble was one morning when there was a storm moving in. There was a lot of rumbling thunder that one clap of thunder would last for at least 30 seconds and the turkeys would gobble the entire time it was thundering.

ranchand99 01-09-2006 06:53 PM

I have had that same thing happen several times.Last year on opening day for example I had roosted a bird the evening before,and the next morning I took my wife,and I had us set up within 100yds of him before daylight.Daylight came and he gobbled,and gobbled,and gobbled.He was gobbling every 20 seconds,and then tapered off to every45 secondsor so.She said it was very exciting to hear,and I told her it was nice to hear that,but it wasn't good for the hunting.I only called 2 times.Once about 5 minutes after the first gobble to let him know I exsited,and right before he flew down to a hen on the road.I knew he was going to fly down because she cut,and he answered,and then he shut up..I had set us up in the woods in the direction he had come from to go to roost.

Typical story..The hens took him away.[:@]Roosted ain't roasted 'ya know.[8D]If there are 2 birds and I hear a bird constantly gobbling I try not tobother him.(It is hard to move your whole set-up,and the wife though..:D)I will usuallygo tothe bird that gobbles once in a while,unless there are no other birds around.Then in mid-day I will go back,and try to get the loud mouth bird fired back up.It has worked for me several times.Also getting between a loud mouth,and a shy tom can work to your advantage.I will call a little,and then turn my calls toward the shy bird.Sometimes it will make the loud mouth bird jealous.I could be here all night,but I'll spare ya'll.:D

I agree Mr.Longbeard,but will add to your statement.Around here a bird could attract a hunter from a mile or better.[:-]Not to mention predators,and hens.[:'(]

StrutnBPS 01-09-2006 09:09 PM

The first long beard that I killed gobbled at least 75 times on his way in. He was an old bird that was all alone. He came all the way across a cut over in about 20mins. To this day I still haven't seen a bird as hot as he was.

The most birds I've ever heard at one time was six or seven.

Coyotestalker 01-10-2006 12:15 AM

As others have had this happen to them, I had a great experience with an older Tom that seemed he took short breaks on the way toward me, gobbling all the way. I say the bird about 200 or so yards away, and had a clear bill of sight of him. He would gobble 5 or 6 times, then walk a short distance, and then repeat. When he got within 50 yards of the decoy, he turn up his gobbling and I could swear the darn bird was a mockingbird bird of gobble. I lost track of time as he voiced his turkeyhood all the way up to the decoy. He did shut up after all that, when my arrow stuck him. In all, he was the loudest, most obnoxious Tom, but it payed out though in the end with a 11 inch beard, and 1 1/4 spurs. And he was tasty in the deep fryer too.

Rob/PA Bowyer 01-10-2006 07:34 AM

Never actually counted but it has to be up there....the gobbler I shot last spring, one day he started gobblin at 5:15 am and never shut up til I got close to him and called at 10:15.....he won that battle but I won the war.;)

hawglips 01-10-2006 01:01 PM

My two sons were hunting merriams last spring, and had a group of 4 gobblers sound off over 300 times, before they quit counting.

Called in a bird a couple years ago that gobbled constantly from before daylight till 9:30, when we killed him. Didn't count, but it had to have been a couple hundred or more.

I don't think I've ever heard more than 6 gobbling at once.

Hal

Arrowmaster 01-10-2006 01:29 PM

I heard turkeys gobble a bunch of times while on the roost. The most different turkeys Ive heard gobble in one morning while in Missouri was 22 different toms. When they hit the field there were 11 strutters and numerous jakes. I did manage to kill a nice long beard that morning.

buckhunter14 01-10-2006 02:45 PM

Me and my father had a flock grouped in a field with about 14 hens a 3 nice toms. We were calling and setting up on them and they would gobble non-stop. It was really awesome. Then, a group of jakes snuck in behind us and even started gobbling. Me and my dad both got lucky that day and bagged 2 of the birds out of that flock! Great hunt!