HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   NC wants to take away a Saturday out of our season!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/127887-nc-wants-take-away-saturday-out-our-season.html)

hawglips 01-06-2006 10:35 AM

NC wants to take away a Saturday out of our season!!!

There's a change afoot at the NCWRC that will take away a Saturday out of our turkey season, 5 out of 7 years.

The change will open the season every year on April 10, instead of the second Saturday as is currently the case, and will close the fourth Saturday thereafter, at the request of some turkey hunters from southeastern NC.

Micheal Seamster, the head turkey biologist for NC, as well as David Bruton, NWTF regional biologist, both wrote articles about this in the December issue of Strutt and Putt, and pointed out the loss of Saturdays to hunt. I also spoke with Dr. David Cobb, head of the NCWRC, who confirmed it to me.

I'd encourage you NC hunters to join me in voicing opposition to the change, which will hurt everybody that has to work Mon.-Fri. as well as the kids that are in school. Speaking for myself, and my boys, we only get 5 days to hunt turkeys each year, and it'll tear me up to lose one for no good reason! I suspect that many others feel that same way, if they know about it.

The way the proposal is worded, I'm afraid most hunters will have no idea that they will be losing a Saturday every year (5 out of 7 anyway), and that the change will slide through while those hurt by it are unaware of the threat.

You can get all the info on the change, the upcoming public hearings, as well as voice your opinion online here (click on "Hunting, Fishing Proposals to Get Public Review") :

http://216.27.49.98/

Hal

turk2di 01-06-2006 04:46 PM

RE: NC wants to take away a Saturday out of our season!!!

Thats unfortunate, and seemingly unnecessary. Without documented proof that it's warranted for the health of the species, completely unfounded IMHO. Is there enuf time for sportsman groups to marshall thier forces?

hawglips 01-09-2006 06:50 AM

Yes, the public hearings start up this week, and continue till the end of the month, so there is still time to get the word out.

Hal

jrbsr 01-09-2006 08:49 AM

http://216.27.49.98/news_stories/pg00_NewsRelease/pg00_proposed_changes06.pdf

Click on the link above.
Then go to page 6, H 8 This is what it says.

Proposal # H8 Says
Open spring wild turkey on April 10 each year.
During years in which April 10 falls on a sunday,
The spring turkey season would open on April 9.
I think they should start turkey season in March in NC.
When the toms are strutting,and not April.

It don't make sence to me.
Theres a link you can voice your opinion.
I will voice mine.

It would make us loose opening saterdays

Thank You

wholelottagobble 01-09-2006 09:10 AM

Jrbsr-

Im not jumping down your throat...but there is a reason that turkey season opens in early April and not in March. Gobblers and hens need time to breed before hunters come in and disturb them, and start harvesting toms. If I understand you right, your a beginningturkey hunter...spend some time around turkeys inmid-late March andearly April and you will witness lotsof hens with gobblers in the mornings, and probably see some breeding if your there enough. State biologists have a huge say in when turkey season opens, not just NC legislators. Hope his clearsthat up for you.

Hawglips- What is the reasoning behind always starting on April 10?? Also, with the new Youth Seasona week before the official opener...How will they work that?? Youth Season on April 3rd every year...even if its a school-day??? Pretty ridiculous if you ask me...but I don't know anything about the whole situation.

hawglips 01-09-2006 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: wholelottagobble

Hawglips- What is the reasoning behind always starting on April 10?? Also, with the new Youth Seasona week before the official opener...How will they work that?? Youth Season on April 3rd every year...even if its a school-day??? Pretty ridiculous if you ask me...but I don't know anything about the whole situation.
I think the way the youth hunt is worded, it would still be the Saturday preceding opening day.

The only reason given for proposing the April 10 start date is that some hunters in southeast NC requested it.

Hal

turk2di 01-09-2006 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: wholelottagobble

Jrbsr-

Im not jumping down your throat...but there is a reason that turkey season opens in early April and not in March. Gobblers and hens need time to breed before hunters come in and disturb them, and start harvesting toms. If I understand you right, your a beginningturkey hunter...spend some time around turkeys inmid-late March andearly April and you will witness lotsof hens with gobblers in the mornings, and probably see some breeding if your there enough. State biologists have a huge say in when turkey season opens, not just NC legislators. Hope his clearsthat up for you.

Ky has always set thier season to begin after when biologist studies show that most hens that wanted to be bred, have been!

Hawgnman 01-09-2006 03:58 PM

I've posted my comments against this proposal and I will be at the Louisburg meeting.